pick nitpickery

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mexicanyella, May 5, 2016.

1. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I was using Ibanez Sand Grips but they became hard to find, so now I've moved onto Dunlop Max-Grip 1.0s. Lighter picks always just warp up on me, and that grippy surface helps keep the pick from flying away.

2. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

+1 on Max-Grip. I use Max-Grip 1.14, I wear them out quickly. I also use the blue Max-Grip 1.5 and they last better. Both great picks.

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Jazz III Maxx Grips for me.

I do like V picks too. Large pointed/Acoustic. I loved the glow in the dark ones, but just lost my last remaining...

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

For electric guitar i like the little teardrop Fender Jazz heavy picks. I started using them after seeing a Danny Gatton video in the '80's. I thought I'd give them a try and they've been great. I also like the Gibson and Peavey versions when I find them.

For acoustic and mandolin I like the rounded triangular Fender Heavies. With the bass I like the same shaped white Clayton 1.00 mm picks.

There are always a selection of picks in the watch pocket of my jeans.

5. telemutilator

telemutilator Tele-Meister

classic fender heavy tortoise not the pearl, not the white. the torties burn slower but with a yellow flame the others are hot and fast with orange flame. I can't be the only one here soloing with a flaming pick right?

TelZilla likes this.
  6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

If I had to use a pick and I seldom ever do, I prefer a real tortoise shell pick. Other picks on an acoustic guitar drive me nuts. I just don't care for the sound of the clickity clack. I keep a Fender medium under the pickguard on my Tele in case I feel I must use a pick, but as I said, I almost never do.

7. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister

Lately I've been prefering the little Fender 551 medium pick and Dunlop Tortex Sharp .73 for jazz playing. I like the sharp point for playing lines in that style but not so much for rock or acoustic playing. In those cases I tend to go with the traditional Fender mediums, standard .73 Tortex and recently have been trying the .73 Ultex. A few years back I was into the Dunlop Gators, mainly for the texture, which I found wears down fast (for me at least). I'll try out other gauges and materials from time to time but tend to gravitate back to those. The only ones I tend to avoid are the Fender medium in the transparent blue and the confetti. I know this sounds weird and doesn't make sense given the material is the same, but for some reason they never sounded right to me o_O.

I am also curious to try out the new Tru-Shell picks Fender has on their website.

8. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple jewelry boxes full of picks, when I was doing repairs, I'd get to order from D'Addario once in a while, back then they would send along picks or T-shirts, so I got a couple bags of Delrin picks, plus some others I ordered from other jobbers. But my favorite is the PickBoy Nylon 0.70mm--just right for me. I was lucky and caught amazon when they were on sale for $18.00/bag a couple years back. I bought two bags.

9. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

358 shaped everything from 50s Fender F to real Tortoise but most are a weird generic I bought from giant tubs of picks most were 351 shaped and a dozen were 358 out of hundreds in a giant pickle jar.[​IMG]

10. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

I use Dunlop Tortex Orange 0.60 mm picks, and occasionally the Dunlop Nylon MaxGrip 0.88 mm picks when I could use extra grip. I use a thicker MaxGrip than Tortex because they have similar feel--the 0.60 MaxGrip's feel too floppy.

I must admit I started using the Orange Tortex because they were John Frusicante's choice, but it turns out they work perfectly for me too! They have just the right amount of finger grip and give on the strings, work for me on both electric and acoustic and for both rhythm and lead play. In a pinch I used a Fender heavy gauge pick at rehearsal last week, and it really tripped me up! Way too stiff.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dunlop Tortex Orange 0.60 for electrics with 9s.
    Dunlop Tortex Yellow 0.73 for electrics with 10s.
    Dunlop Tortex Red 0.50 (or fingers) for acoustics.
    Dunlop Ultrex Puke Yellow 0.73 for surf guitar.

12. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

why, I use the Pick of Destiny.

David_Maas, Jakedog and Blue Bill like this.
  13. 1952stuff

1952stuff TDPRI Member

Presently I really like my V-pick Ghost Rim Snake. I used to use .58 gauge thin and .71 gauge medium up to 1.5 ml Dunlops...and mainly regular heavt gauge Fenders or whatever was available in heavy. I use 10-46 D adarrio strings out of the pack.

When I tried the 4 ml V-picks I was sold right away. The extra thickness feels great. The bevel means the pick has more surface area contact with the string and sort of glides over it instead of 'flapping' over it. In this case all the positive testimonials seem true.

The Ghost Rim picks have a unbuffed bevel that creates a lovely sort of whisper sound...especially nice when I play clean..that is to say when i use a clean boost pedal.

Conventional thickness picks don't feel as natural to me as the fat picks even though i used them most of my life and only discovered the V-picks recwently.

If you have not tried fat picks I would suggest you try one and seee if you like them..they make a big tone difference.

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Like Steve 78 and Stringbanger I use the Dunlop grey nylon 0.88mm picks. I have a very large quantity of them - one tucked through the strings of each of a dozen or so guitars, plus at least four in my pocket at all times just in case... Also, of course, a good few unopened multi-packs. They last well and feel right to me. The only downside is that they're a bugger to find when very occasionally dropped on the floor.

15. elKZacha

elKZacha Tele-Meister

I love the ones that don't sound too plasticy when strumming, it gets annoying and makes me feel like my tone sucks even though it's a miniscule 'issue'.

Generally the small and thick Dunlop ones would be my preference :D

16. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Dunlop nylon 0.60 mm and a heavier Dava option for more digging on. A friend gave me an Alice 1.5 mm which is definitely more for jazz playing, as it noticeably pushes out the mids.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I like small, very heavy picks. These have a very nice sound fro me:

D'Andrea pro-plek

These are very fast but the tone is a little different

Dunlop primetone JazzIII

This is a topic, however, where lots of eye-rolling is reasonable

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I use a variety of V-picks. Someone at TDPRI had a post about picks and V-picks were mentioned so that got me wondering about some of these boutique picks. So I decided try their deal of the month (7 picks $20) and that started the whole thing. So once in great while send for some and in the coarse of about two years have about 30. As for the picks I was really skeptical that they would be as good as they claimed. The first thing I notice is they do not move in around when you hold theme. Most of them are really stiff but have a great feel to them. Two of my favorites are the Diamond and Dimension both are 4.10mm thick, I never thought I would like a pick that thick. Anyway if you ever have an extra $20 give them a try.

19. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

I like the Dunlop nylon .73s because they have some grip, and because that's what I have become used to over all these years. Speaking of grip, a friend gave me some Snarling Dog picks years ago that were great anyone use those?

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I started drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the middle of my picks. It really improves the grippy-ness and makes it easier to "orient' the pick. Works great. Pics.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.