Piano value…

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Value? YOU will have to PAY someone to take it!

Oh…I didn’t read…

I’d try to save it somehow, it is a shame

Others have already pointed out a lot

kLyon

Tele-Afflicted
There's a garbage dump somewhere near Manhattan full of trashed elegant pianos: new money has come to the Upper East Side and nobody wants them. So they get dumped. It's really a shame.
A good friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago; he had an amazing Yamaha C7 he bought brand new for about $60k. It was inconveniently located up in Lake Isabella, but I was amazed at how hard it was to give it away! Eventually it found a home, but it took months and many misfires.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I’d give it away without hesitation. It has intrinsic value but it’s also an instrument meant to give joy.

My dad played a 9’ grand until he passed and my brother has it only because at the time I had no house.

Find a family in need or a school.
This.

My dad would 100% want it to go free to someone who will play and enjoy it rather than someone who pays £5k for it just to sit in the corner as an ornament.

All the better if it went somewhere that kids could enjoy it.

And mum had it tuned last month so there are not issues on that front…

kranz

Tele-Meister
Call Neko Case. I understand that she collects them and has a barn full of them.

As a young man I worked for a Van Line. We dreaded moving those beasts.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
I'm guessing the most likely suspects interested in the piano would be some college or community theatre somewhere. You pick it up you can have it.
But if it's a real recognized brand name then you just need to contact the right people and sooner or later you will find someone who will come and get it. Anything is better than scrapping it for firewood. Some of those old grands can be worth 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 thousand bucks.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Reminds me of picking up a piano for the Scout hut in the 80s. We picked it up on a trailer behind a land rover from a farm. It a clear night and I remember them setting off up the drive with my dad sitting at the piano on the trailer playing Moonlight Sonata.…. well maybe you had to be there, but that was typical of dads sense of humour. I still miss the old sod!
Yes - it was a different world then

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
The soundboard might be spruce, you could get some acoustic tops out of it

I guess baby grands have a wood soundboard?

I only know a little about them
I was hoping that with the one I took apart but the soundboard was about 3/16" thick and actually a glue-up of a bunch of 4" strips

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
All the better if it went somewhere that kids could enjoy it.
I had posted earlier in this thread, but thought I should elaborate.
My girlfriend teaches piano.
She goes to the students homes to teach.
One young girl had a tiny little electric piano, that was challenging to play, to say the least.
A man contacted my girlfriend as he had seen her ad and said he was moving out of state and had a piano he was
looking to give to someone.
My girlfriend contacted the girls parents to tell them of the free piano.
They figured out a way to pick it up and ended up with a very nice piano for their daughter.
My girlfriend still teaches this girl and the girl loves her 88 key piano.
She is currently learning to play "Here Comes the Sun".
I'm sure there is another kid out there who would love to have a real piano.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Our daughter did suzuki piano. They were very insistent that she had to learn on a real acoustic piano. We were loaned one by some friends who I think just wanted to get rid of it. It's a Kawai upright, a nice piano. Eventually we bought it from them for a nominal sum, but it was clear that we could have gotten a used piano for virtually nothing.

Pianos are big complicated machines and stuff wears out and breaks. Our daughter is going to be leaving home soon enough and we will have a good piano neither of us plays and she won't have room for and no one will want it.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
We had a family heirloom early 1900's upright piano. In 2018 we paid $250 to 1-800Got Junk to haul it away when we downsized.

Right now I have a top quality elliptical trainer I can't give away. Will probably pay to have it hauled.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Wow. Is that base granite or speckle-painted cast iron?

For some reason my father thought it was a good idea to bring home a 16" Southbend engine lathe. Not sure how we get rid of it now.
It looks like this though this is not an actual photo. Tech schools wouldn't want the monster because it's huge and not controlled by computer.
View attachment 1034916
My dad also had a lathe in the basement.
One that supposedly had belonged to the inventor of the Abloy locks.
Thankfully I found a guy who wanted it. A guy who actually uses it, that is.
My dad was a pack rat of the worst kind and every nook and cranny he left
is overflowing with photo-equipment and tools. I need precious little of it and
can't bear to scrap it outright. So this whole thread hits too close to everything...

But I'm keeping the damned piano!!!

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I had a 1968 Baldwin Accrosonic spinet. That's a short piano, one of the smallest and I couldn't give it away. A wonderful instrument.

It ended up as part of the sales agreement when my ex sold the house. The new owners had to take it.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't really play piano...at all...and thus have no use for one, but living in the Philadelphia area I've noticed that if I had 2 guys, a truck, and $50, I could grab a piano a day off my local Craigslist.

I talked to Mom about it a year or so ago and she pointed out that as recently as the 1950s, the Piano was the home entertainment center, but between TV and digital keyboards, demand for pianos is just GONE. I have my wifes' old upright grand out in the garage, I've gutted it. Trying to figure out if I can get the spruce soundboard out in one(-ish) piece for a guitar maker and build a guitar workbench in the case. Unfortunately, her mother painted it with a brush and some oil-based back in the '70s, so restoring the finish just ain't in the cards.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow. Is that base granite or speckle-painted cast iron?

For some reason my father thought it was a good idea to bring home a 16" Southbend engine lathe. Not sure how we get rid of it now.
It looks like this though this is not an actual photo. Tech schools wouldn't want the monster because it's huge and not controlled by computer.
View attachment 1034916
Someone with a machine shop might want it though, my brother in law and his dad have a machine shop, they have the newer CAD stuff but a lot of older machines too, for smaller jobs he said it's often faster to do it old school.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Yamaha make quality products. Their Grand pianos are favoured by Elton John, Queen and many others as touring instruments. I know a colleague who plays a Yamaha acoustic, not his Martin D-45 , live.
I'd remind any prospective buyers of the fact that these are serious pianos. Most Japanese instumens are.THey have a whole building and music school in Singapore where their instruments fly off the shelves the day they are delivered and Singaporeans are no fools.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Follow up on our donated Yamaha piano. A friend who teaches at the school where we donated the piano told us it is being used used at present to accompany auditions and rehearsals for the annual school talent show.