Piano players advice

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ponce, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Here's a verse part of a song I'm working on at the moment and it features an upright piano.
    I have to say that I'm a complete keyboard and music theory idiot. The way I "composed" this is almost disrespectful if not totally blasphemous.:lol: I played a single note line and then added notes in a MIDI editor to create chords and little phrases.
    The other side of the coin is that I'd also been listening to classical and jazz piano music for years. Therefore I kind of think I know how it's supposed to sound. Not more than that.
    I know this is a guitar forum, but I'm sure some proficient piano player is lurking here and is willing to take a listen and tell me if this is worth a dime or is it a disaster. What would need to be done to make it sound like a pianist played it. I'm especially curious about the chord voicing at 0:20 because I'm afraid it sounds a bit "off". Also the interplay with that wavetable synth part.

Many thanks in advance!

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-126307129/piano-part

2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

the problem is what do YOU want it to sound like ? If you want it to sound that way, play it that way. It doesn't shock me, and it is too quick to sound like a bung note.

ponce likes this.
  3. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I want it to sound more or less correct.:) In a sense that artistic freedom doesn't collide with basic musical rules.

4. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

There aren't any rules. If it sounds good to you, it s ok. If you want to stay musically correct, well it depends on the setting. I say it sounds fun.

It depends on the rules you want to apply to your song. If we're talking classical music, maybe it might be frown apart. In a country music context, it sounds ok. And in a jazz context as well i guess. In a death metal context, that would be a big no no.

But then again, there is no correct or not correct. At least to me. But i don't write symphonies.

ponce likes this.
  5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

To my ears it's not a technical problem but does sound like a three note run that may need the note length looked at to flow better

JM2CW

ponce likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I think I know what you're talking about. Perhaps leave the single "lead in" note alone before the following chords. Just a thought.

ponce likes this.
  7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Since it's a rhythm track, why not pan the guitar and keys
    to varying degrees on opposite sides of the stereo field.

This way you can make some room for a main melody line
    in the middle. It reminds me of Thompson Twins and Psych Furs.

Those drums might need to swing a little bit to give it a jazzy feel,
    or bring in some other percussion to give it some depth.

The techno tools we have are just an extension of our creativity.
    The MIDI tools don't play themselves. We artistically manipulate
    them, electrify them, to create and forge our art.

It's perfectly normal to have an acoustic instrument interact
    with a radicalized modern soundscape. Bring it!

ponce likes this.
  8. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

It's better that it sounds fun than funny.:D

johnny k likes this.
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I did pan them, but really soft, around 10:30 and 01:30. And there is some busy conga going on, maybe not distinctive enough...

10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Considering the large number of popular songs that feature bands and musicians that don't know any music theory, can't read music, or in some cases don't even play very well, it's not really a problem...

ponce likes this.
  11. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

But I'm kind of an ignorant perfectionist:lol:

12. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

WORK IT. Put it on loop play and listen repeatedly — in time, things that have been bothering you will make themselves clear, and you can examine and tinker that bar or phrase until it sounds more like the song in your head. Do this every day, and at the end of a week, you'll be able to hear what the piano part is trying to say and contribute to the song.

Then you can start the polishing process, and it'll also help you develop the rest of the song. Conceptually, it doesn't sound like you're quite there. There's still a heap of soft clay for you to mold and a lot of untapped potential. Just keep swinging the hammer until your arms feel like they're ready to drop off.

Good luck!

suthol, fendrguitplayr and ponce like this.
  13. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

This is very well put! Thnx.

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Definitely forget about rules, and pay attention to how it sounds. Even if your MIDI piano doesn't sound like a typical piano player would play it, that can be a good thing because it will sound like you instead of like someone else. They key to pulling it off is that it sounds good.
    And as far as "cheating" and blasphemy by writing in MIDI notes, think of this: The most famous composers in history didn't play every instrument, and most of them couldn't do it if they tried. They write the music, and a proficient player plays it. You're doing the same thing in a modern way when you write in MIDI notes, don't feel like you're doing anything wrong. Your computer is the proficient player of your composition :)

ponce and catdaddy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.