Physics: Large Hadron Collider suggests a new particle carrying a fifth force of nature.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Well I like philosophical , theological, quantum physics, tic' tack'' toe' mind games.
When we get those photos back from the James Webb Telescope 1 of 2 things are gonna be seen
three Far side scientists laughing their butts off, or a nice white on white on white on white image with the greatest clarity ever.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yeah, but this isn't change. It's knowing more about what already is.
Chances are, like my friends from Milagro, if I don't already know it, I'm not interested. Now if this discovery were to say offer a means of propelling my golf drives another forty yards or so, I'd be all over it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well I like philosophical , theological, quantum physics, tic' tack'' toe' mind games.
When we get those photos back from the James Webb Telescope 1 of 2 things are gonna be seen
three Far side scientists laughing their butts off, or a nice white on white on white on white image with the greatest clarity ever.

So, you are offering even odds on either result? ;)

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Chances are, like my friends from Milagro, if I don't already know it, I'm not interested. Now if this discovery were to say offer a means of propelling my golf drives another forty yards or so, I'd be all over it.
Could happen. There's lots of physics involved in the design of your driver. Not quantum physics. Not yet. But I have read that quantum effects are involved in photosynthesis and in the ability of migrating birds to navigate. It used to be thought that there was the macro world where Newtonian physics explained most everything and the quantum world where everything was spookily different, but now it looks like it is all one. This discovery is a step toward understanding the interaction between the world we know and the quantum level.

I'm no physicist, but physicists do play golf, you know.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Could happen. There's lots of physics involved in the design of your driver. Not quantum physics. Not yet. But I have read that quantum effects are involved in photosynthesis and in the ability of migrating birds to navigate. It used to be thought that there was the macro world where Newtonian physics explained most everything and the quantum world where everything was spookily different, but now it looks like it is all one. This discovery is a step toward understanding the interaction between the world we know and the quantum level.

I'm no physicist, but physicists do play golf, you know.
You know it would be great if physics could really solve the golfer's problems playing golf. The interesting thing is, in the last forty years there have been untold improvements in golfing equipment probably involving millions of dollars if not billions in research and development. During that same period the average golfer's handicap has only moved two points to the good! I think it's going to take a lot of moles to move that mountain! :)

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You know it would be great if physics could really solve the golfer's problems playing golf. The interesting thing is, in the last forty years there have been untold improvements in golfing equipment probably involving millions of dollars if not billions in research and development. During that same period the average golfer's handicap has only moved two points to the good! I think it's going to take a lot of moles to move that mountain! :)
Well, I own a house next to a driving range. The nets are like 70 feet tall. Still, golf balls have smashed lights and tables, broken windows, dented cars, and even hit people. Last month I was sitting at my desk writing an email, and a ball came through the window. Fortunately the ball and most of the glass was stopped by the curtain, though I found a piece the other day in the back of my Boss Katana. To tell the truth, I hate golf. But all this stuff is just physics.

The golf course paid for the window. They always do. But it gets really old after a while.