Physics: Large Hadron Collider suggests a new particle carrying a fifth force of nature.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Whack anything together that fast in that tunnel and
you are going to have a lot of particles to pick up, small and large.

At least we are out of string theory for now. Last year they
thought they were going to create tiny black holes there.
Great, another place to lose more picks.
"Great, another place to lose more picks." Laughed out loud when I read this, you made the funny ++Good

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Edited to correct a factual error. The quark under discussion is the bottom or “beauty” quark.

Ah, the beauty of physics and the way it’s sold to get more funding. First the data. There is 5 sigma confidence that the decay of the bottom quark favors electrons over muons when the standard model predicts an even distribution. There is the highest level of confidence in the data. The open question is why. Is there a fifth force? No doubt but is it responsible for this phenomenon? Is our understanding of the weak force incomplete? Probably? Possibly? Are there interactions with neighboring particles not being fully considered? 5 sigma confidence says probably not. Is this an indication of an interaction with dark matter? If yes, why only beauty quarks?

The data actually raises more questions than it answers. That’s how science works. None of this affects our understanding of the world around us on the scale we experience on a daily basis. Why should we care. Read through the thread. Some of us obviously don’t. Living in the world of science and engineering, I can only say nobody ever did better knowing less. I think the same can be said for humanity as a whole.

In the days of Newton, science was referred to as natural philosophy. Think about that for a moment. Einstein developed his theories of relativity and special relativity as thought experiments. The math was added in the process of tying all of it together and giving the theories predictive power. Let the thought experiments begin. Understanding the decay of beauty will certainly be more interesting than watching Jennifer Aniston age.

Last edited:

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Ah, the beauty of physics and the way it’s sold to get more funding. First the data. There is 5 sigma confidence that the decay of the charm quark favors electrons over muons when the standard model predicts an even distribution. There is the highest level of confidence in the data. The open question is why. Is there a fifth force? No doubt but is it responsible for this phenomenon? Is our understanding of the weak force incomplete? Probably? Possibly? Are there interactions with neighboring particles not being fully considered? 5 sigma confidence says probably not. Is this an indication of an interaction with dark matter? If yes, why only beauty quarks?

The data actually raises more questions than it answers. That’s how science works. None of this affects our understanding of the world around us on the scale we experience on a daily basis. Why should we care. Read through the thread. Some of us obviously don’t. Living in the world of science and engineering, I can only say nobody ever did better knowing less. I think the same can be said for humanity as a whole.

In the days of Newton, science was referred to as natural philosophy. Think about that for a moment. Einstein developed his theories of relativity and special relativity as thought experiments. The math was added in the process of tying all of it together and giving the theories predictive power. Let the thought experiments begin. Understanding the decay of beauty will certainly be more interesting than watching Jennifer Aniston age.
well said

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I would do a little reading and come back to this in a few years
On which part, dark matter, quarks and black holes, or reincarnation? I've read up on both for years and found no more evidence for one over the other. Then again, I am still fascinated at how a paper cone and a magnet can move air to make sounds like guitars, drums, and people...all at the same time! And I'm still suspicious of microwave ovens, never mind 5G. Cell phones are pure evil. So there's that.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The more I read about that stuff, the more I am convinced they are a bunch of very smart people who do not know jack squat about dark-this and dark-that. Theorizing about what a thing does that they can not even prove exists in the first place, and how that affects another thing they do not know if exists, etc. Makes about as much sense as some hippy talking about reincarnation and how to influence what you will reincarnate as and when.
This is what life is like if 1) you have tenure; and 2) you travel around the world on grants and fellowships.

BUG80

Tele-Meister
Thanks for sharing. Physics is cool. But I am a physicist so I may be a bit biased.

In case this is the GAS force I am curious if it obeys Schrödinger's superposition paradox: when there is a new piece of gear available, you'll never know whether you'd like it or not until you buy it.