Photoshop alternative for free... GIMP?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I looked up Seashore and it's apparently written for Mac only, but is based on the GIMP codebase and 'is still undergoing development and may contain bugs'.

If you're wedded to Photoshop, there is a mod of Gimp called 'Gimpshop' that rearranges the UI so it looks more similar to Photoshop. If you are starting from zero with any of these programs, the learning curve will be the same so I'd stay with Gimp.

2. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Gimp is a powerful tool.

As has been mentioned, some aspects of the user interface are a bit nerdy inasmuch as they programmed the thing more along their own ideas than common standards, but there is nothing that cannot be overcome by a little bit of getting used to.

Also I like the open source idea.

3. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I do graphic design work, and I am pretty fond of this https://www.photopea.com . I feel it's a step above other cloud software, and it works with PSD fies. I can do most of the daily tasks I need, and only boot up Photoshop occasionally. Its free with some ads, but I bought a license/donated because it's cheap and I wanted to support development.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

NCH Photopad is excellent software from an Australian company that is easy to use. A free download is available for home use.
    https://www.nchsoftware.com/photoeditor/download-now.html

I also use the professional version of NCH Wavepad as my audio editor. I paid $30 or 40 for it after the free trial expired. The editing capabilities are exactly what I need. I like the lossless mp3 and autoscaling. I also use crossfade when editing concerts. I had used a freeware version in the past but IMO the cost of the full featured version was nominal.

5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've used Gimp and Paint.net and they're OK, but not to my liking. I have a copy a Photoshop 2 or 3, but I never use it. My goto program is an ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro v9.01, from when JASC owned it before Corel. I'll never give it up.

7. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Photos (on a Mac) has some surprisingly powerful tools, you can the see retouch tool about half way down on the right column.

[​IMG]

koen likes this.
  8. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

GIMP! I have used it for over 15 years. It will do anything you need to do and then some.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using Gimp for years, on Linux and Mac. No issues. It does have a learning curve, but you can google for recipes that accomplish certain tasks, like transparent backgrounds and such. I imagine Photoshop is no different in terms of complexity.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

Photoshop and GIMP are total overkill for making minor alterations. Find some YouTube tutorials about whatever the native image processing application is on your Mac—it will probably do more than she needs.

koen likes this.
  12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My wife's aunt volunteered to fix the photos for us. She did a wonderful job.

We tried for a bit to do it ourselves, but as all of you know, even though it might be easy there is still an art to it. And we were not able to grasp the art level necessary in an hour or two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.