Photondev's 2021 Brotherhood build - one pickup plank

beerguy

Tele-Meister

photondev

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't had a chance to continue working on this project.. Very likely I am going for the dogears, I like them and I don't have any guitars with it.

My other Junior, one of my favorites and made from the same batch of Spanish Cedar, has a pair of soapbars .....

20200823_122519.jpg

Last edited:

photondev

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for the suggestions, I normally don't like pickguards, but that is a great option.

Looks excellent, black covers would look cool too. Pick guard will cover it if ya want but I would consider tapping in to a neck pup... you can dooo it ::)

Thanks! I have thought from the beginning of adding a neck pup, but it goes against the original one pup spec. :eek:

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't own a P90 guitar but have had a buddies 68 Goldtop Reissue for a few days - he wanted me to do some minor work on it. I find myself using the neck pickup a lot - I like the complexity and warmth much more than the bridge. On my jazz guitar (two Beneditto humbuckers) I find I play with the switch in the middle but only a little bridge added - again, I like the lush sounds of the neck. Only you know how you play but limiting your options seems like a bad choice.

I get real nervous mixing types of pickups - I'm not smart enough to get all the components correct so they are well balanced. Here is the goldtop, my lester and a vintage Gibson tube amp

IMG_1883.JPG

solfege

Tele-Meister
White pickup cover, black or tort (red or brown) Jr. guard and done. It'll be beautiful and the thing you were looking to make, a simple axe that you use to explore the possibilities of that one P90, placed just so.

wadeeinkauf

Tele-Afflicted
I think black pickup covers would look better, I ordered a couple :cool:

I wish I hadn't done that large tenon, I have some ideas about how to hide it ....

If the visible tenon bugs you this is an easy way to fix it if you have a bit of lumber left over from the body build. Inlay a ¼ thick piece from the end of the fretboard to the pickup cavity the width of the tenon. I have done this a couple of times on problems in this area since I do not like using pickguards.