1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Photondev's 2021 Brotherhood build - one pickup plank

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by photondev, Mar 5, 2021.

1. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I am going for a really basic build that I have wanted for a long time. I have read a lot that one pickup guitars sound better than multiple pickup guitars and that they force you to play differently. I have wanted to test that.

So I will build a basic plank with one bridge P90. I am still deciding about the lumber, the options are: Spanish Cedar, or some relatively heavy African Mahogany, possibly chambered and possibly a maple cap. I reserve the right to modify features as I go, LOL.

I have been looking at my templates, and I have decided to build an inspired by Les Paul Jr. singlecut. I have already received an alnico 5 P90 set. Photos to follow.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    kwerk, hemingway, Jim_in_PA and 7 others like this.
  2. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build! Mine will also be bridge p90 only.

3. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Good luck to you. I will follow your progress.

Frank Roberts and crazydave911 like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Reminds me of the old Taipan Tone guitars, a pine LP Jr body and a bolt on Tele neck. Amazing tone monsters :lol:, and once again proving my theory a Tele neck looks good on anything but a Tele :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave

5. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I try to use what I already have, so far the pickups are the only item I have purchased, and I think that's it. Here are some of the items I will use: Spanish cedar for the body, a mahogany neck I started a long time ago, pre-slotted and radiused fretboard 24.75 scale, maple for the possible top, P90, body outline template.

20210305_123004.jpg

6. crazydave911

The Spanish cedar will be lovely, and light

photondev likes this.
  7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

One of the things that I love about Spanish Cedar is that you can smell it even when it's finished with lacquer. I built a mostly hollow Tele for my dad that had a Spanish Cedar neck and a Cocobolo fret board. When you open the hard case, it smells like you opened a cigar humidor. Good luck and happy building!

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I love me a good single pickup guitar!

9. crazydave911

The best, they make a player outta ya

Newbcaster and photondev like this.
  10. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Really great choice with the Les Paul Jr. I have built a few headless guitars with two pickups mainly using the pickups in my junk box but have been thinking of working on the design and moving to a single pickup. Did not really understand what great players understand about using volume and tone controls that a single pickup forces you to learn if you want to be a versatile player. Ok I admit I began playing in the 60’s with a Fender. I lusted over a Strat almost as much as I did over that red headed beauty in my senior class. Unfortunately, both were out of my reach. I forgot about the girl and bought a Music Master. I almost forgot the point I was going to make….thinking about the girl….We just turned the volume and tone up to max and that’s pretty much where it stayed for the next many, many years! Below is the best demonstration of tones you can get by simply adjusting the volume….let alone using the tone control I have seen. It is from Guitarist magazine. Even if you are not into single pickup guitars it is worth watching. I am really looking forward to following your build. It is worth noting that the pickup on Les Paul Jr. is placed a bit forward of where most bridge pickups would be in a two pickup guitar.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  11. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info and the video, great story @wadeeinkauf. I have been researching one pickup guitars, and this is a great excuse to attempt to build one. Do you have any specs about the pickup's placement?

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

13. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks @CapnCrunch .

I have built a couple guitars with Spanish cedar, and in my limited experience, I found that is very easy on the tools, specially comparing it to maple. Also, I like the grain in this piece, I am thinking of a natural finish.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Loved that video, a lot of possibilities....

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

That piece is really nice, although it is not very light. Let's see how it goes after I start cutting it, hopefully I don't have to chamber it. I don't like heavy guitars.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I used to make Cigar Humidors for friends, so I've worked with Spanish Cedar quite a bit. I think it is definitely under used for guitars. It's light, easy to work, and smells great. I've always wanted to build a LP style guitar out of it.

Are you going to grain fill yours?

17. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I think so, although this lumber does not have very large pores. I am going to use a technique I just started using: sanding dust from the body and shellac. I did some tests in my PRS build, also Spanish cedar, and I like the results. Feels very "organic".

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I started cutting the wood for the body, I am trying to find the best look for the grain

20210306_113226.jpg

Also, started laying out the neck

20210306_162608.jpg

E-miel and crazydave911 like this.
  19. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Cleaned up the top with the thickness planer and prepared the sides for the glue up

20210307_114339.jpg

Gluing the body

20210307_122844.jpg 20210307_124250.jpg

E-miel, crazydave911 and wadeeinkauf like this.
  20. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

All these descriptions of Spanish Cedar is making me want to build something out of it! I just saw a ton of it at a woodcraft store yesterday, but nothing thick enough for a body.

I’m looking forward to your build!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.