1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Photobucket - No more 3rd Party Hosting

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stratohacker, Jun 30, 2017.

1. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

xafinity likes this.
  2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I used to host my own with a little website my wife hooked up for me. Then it got compromised (because she didn't keep wordpress updated). At that point, I lost all of the pics in all of my old threads. Then Paul and TDPRI stepped in and provided image hosting. I think this is AWESOME and appreciate it greatly! And since then I haven't had to worry about managing a little PITA website (and neither has my wife).

tonytrout likes this.
  3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

If you want to to share with other forums, you have to upload to them as well. And some forums have their own "we'll use them how we want" TOS. At least in my case, I own the photos and no other site can use them for self promotion without my permission :)

Carl

Stratohacker likes this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

The problem is that a lot of us have used Photobucket for forum posts, blog posts, etc... for several years and those links are likely now dead because they technically constitute a breach of new policy. It looks like some folks still have active photos though, so who knows.

Stratohacker likes this.
  5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Photobucket has been almost impossible to access because of all the popups and ads, etc. for a year or so, anyway. I'm going to be moving all my stuff over. If their aim is to kill all traffic to their site, they're going about it the right way!

Stratohacker likes this.
  6. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

They can photo suck it.

7. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

+ 1 on this. Photobucket has become a complete PITA to use. If they now want money from me as well, then they can just go and do one. I've been using Flicker for a while and there no limits on the amount of pictures you can post there.

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It sounds like Photobucket kicked the bucket .

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

But I thought cloud storage was the safe and reliable wave of the future? You mean after you get all your stuff stored there they can just hold your photos hostage for ransom? Who could have anticipated that? It ain't fair.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    tery likes this.
  10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

They are having this exact Photobucket discussion right now on a Truck Forum :)

11. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

And many forums require a paid subscription to be able to directly upload and host.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Well isn't that a lovely catch 22. Lol. Glad I don't belong to any of those forums.

13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet
    Want embedded Photobucket images to continue loading in forums or on your website?
    Be prepared to pay $399 per year.

By
    Matthew Humphries
    June 30, 2017

Embedding images on a website or in a forum post is a very common practice, with those images usually living on one of the many well-known image hosting websites. One such host is Photobucket, but a recent change to its subscription tiers means many millions of images across the Internet are no longer going to load outside of Photobucket's own site.

The key feature of a Photobucket account we're talking about here is called "3rd Party Hosting." It allows you to embed images from Photobucket in another location on the Internet, e.g. in a forum post or on a website.

As Norvic Philatelics discovered, Photobucket changed its terms and conditions and removed the 3rd Party Hosting feature from the lower subscription tiers. If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.

Not only is that very expensive, it means existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change. Here's just one example of how this change impacts a forum thread.

The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation.

There's hope this is a mistake, or that Photobucket's management will realize the scale of the problem they have created with this change. But if that doesn't happen, expect to see that Photobucket broken link image above many times in the coming months.

14. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Wait; it seems to be even WORSE. Photobucket is covering the pics I uploaded this afternoon with an upgrade notice. I can see the thumbnails in my library but can't access the files. In other words: It's not even a personal backup service right now.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I used Photobucket for a long time, it's been problematic for some time now, guess now's the time to move on to something better.

What do you want for nothing? a rubber biscuit?

P Thought and tery like this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I deeply resemble that remark.

17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

That's it. The final straw. I quit.

tery likes this.
  18. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

ITA. Every photo I've uploaded here has been found using Google Images and I just save whatever photo I want to use to my computer and upload them here and - BINGO! - photos posted with no issues.

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Raise your hand if you've figured out that was the business plan from the start.

kwerk likes this.
  20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Thanks to Photobucket, I'm officially logging off the internet.

I need all of your mailing addresses so I can send you all things that I would normally post on here.

CLPeterman and papa32203 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.