1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Photo hosting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheOutlaw, Jan 18, 2021.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

its been a few years since ive done much online photo posting but I'm planning to be a lot more active in a few places. In the past I've used Flickr and a few others but times change and im wondering whats the best choice right now? I'm looking mainly for reliability, ease of use, accepted everywhere, and probably most important staying power. I don't want to get used to something only to have them hold my photos hostage or make me constantly fix links, or just not be acceptable for use at all places.

Right now I'm backing up all photos to spare drives and Google photos.

Is there an easy way to use Google photos for this?

2. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I may depend on what you want to do, but generally spekaing; Yes.

You can share single images or whole albums with a select few or everyone.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I use imgbb. It's free.

Remember that unless you have your data in at least three places (primary and two backups), your data does not exist. So back it up to some place like Dropbox, iCloud, outboard drive, etc.

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Just received an email stating that Picturetrail is closing it's doors. I used it a few years back. Still have a few photos there. Nothing I want to keep. Any pics left at Picturetrail at the end of February will be deleted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using Flickr for a long time. It's been very reliable and I like that I can share albums with friends. I only put a selection of my photos on there though as the free version only allows you 1,000 images. The unlimited "Pro" version is $50 per year.

I do keep everything backed up to my own 4TB WD Mycloud drive that plugs directly into my router though.

The problem with Google photos is that it only allows you 15GB of cloud storage for free. The new Google One plan starts out at $2 per month for 100GB. I have almost 60,000 images (650GB) of photos on my PC and personal cloud drive.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I still use Flickr and as far as I know the sharing links work fine. It's a decent 'user experience' I think for viewing large galleries, seeing the camera/image data if curious, downloading different resolution images, organizing into albums, making things public or not and setting rights/licenses.

My sister uses a Google Drive or Google Photos for sharing and that works pretty well for a large collection that's essentially private (among family, friends) with just read-only privileges for everyone but her.

7. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

I thought about trying to stick with Google photos But unless I'm misunderstanding something If I link A photo From there to a forum And somebody clicks on it They can then go to my Google photos account And view everything else?

Whatever option I choose I don't think a free account is going to be an option Because I will end up backing up all of my photos there And since photography was a hobby for about 12 years of my life I've got hundreds of thousands of photos.

It honestly seems like maybe the best option Might just be sticking with Keeping all of my photos on Google Drive, Google photos, and Dropbox, And maybe just Adding the ones I want to share online To a Flickr account or something similar as needed.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I use Imgur. Switched to it when Flickr wanted me to start paying. It's still free.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

me too

Dismalhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.