1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phosphor Bronze Acoustic String Sets

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by FenderGuy53, Dec 31, 2020.

Which string set would YOU choose?

1. D'Addario EJ16

61.5%
  2. Ernie Ball Earthwood 2146

7.7%
  3. John Pearse 600L

30.8%
  4. Martin Authentic Acoustic MA540

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

If you could choose only one of the following uncoated, phosphor bronze, acoustic string sets, which set would YOU choose:

D'Addario EJ16
    Ernie Ball Earthwood 2146
    John Pearse 600L
    Martin Authentic Acoustic MA540

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I use Earthwoods, they're cheap and reliable.

The Martin Strings I've used have been good too, also affordable.

3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Well, of the choices given, I would pick D'Addario. I lot of players like John Pearse, but I found them bog standard. Martin has either changed (or just rebranded?) its acoustic string product lines, so my own experiences may no longer be valid, but iun my experience Martin strings, well, suck. I stopped using them because they were noticeably short-lived and never impressive tonally. Maybe they're better now, but I'm not throwing away another $ on Martins. I like Ernie Ball acoustic strings, but not Earthwoods. I use their Aluminum Bronze because they give a really dry, clean tone on a very old Gibson L-00 I love. Good luck. I do find that different individual guitars can respond unusually and surprisingly well (or poorly) to various strings, so don't be afraid to experiment.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

As I said in your other thread, I decided a long time ago that I like the tone/price/life trade off of lightly coated strings. I haven't played any of those in such a long time that I can't offer an opinion. If I had to buy a set of strings to put on a guitar until I could get the ones I really like it would probably be the D'Addarios.

985plowboy likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have used the those Pearse, Earthwood and D'Addario sets on my beater Epi DR100. I liked the Pearse for the money. Never tried that particular set of Martin's, so I couldn't say.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm very familiar with 3 of 4 and these 3 ( Pearse, Martin, D"addario, all PB lights) are indeed my favorites ( I've tried other brand PB's as well as other alloys, for years now)

But you ( OP), need to try these out for yourself and see how they sound on your guitar(s), and feel on your hands

Once again, it's phosphor

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. FenderGuy53

Duh. Did it again. :rolleyes:

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

I just put earthwinds on my FS800. It really opened up my guitar. I went with extra lights but it still has a bold and warm tone to them. I love them!

9. FenderGuy53

Good advice. Thanks.

10. Chiogtr4x

Sorry, didn't mean to be a douche!

BTW on subject,
    I would not mind if a few players tried out the 'new' Martin Authentic Phosphor Bronze lights ( 540's) and see if they like them as much as I do?

I'm just curious as I never ( historically) cared for Martin strings ( which is funny as I love Martins!) but these Authentics strings may even be nudging out the John Pearse PB's, or neck and neck. Just impressed at how long they hold a good tone.

( I know the nickel/copper Martin Vintage Monels are very popular today, I just dig Phosphor Bronze)

Mission6_OG and FenderGuy53 like this.
  11. FenderGuy53

Me, too!

12. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Another Martin guitar owner and lover who would never purchase Martin strings again. Back before the days of coated strings I would be lucky to get one gig out of a set of Martin strings.

Dan

13. FenderGuy53

Which iteration of these 3?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Not sure what you mean,
    other than I sort of 'replaced' my long time use of D'Addario EJ-16's Phosphor Bronze lights ( not that I won't use them again, they are kind of the gold standard PB),

about 7/8 years ago, first with John Pearse PB Lights ( 600L I think), and recently ( the last 2 years or so) with the Martin Authentic Phosphor Bronze lights (MA 540)
    So ( and I have tried other strings) I really have no interest in using any other strings than these 3, with Pearse or the Martins preferred.

* I do like the Pearse 80/20 lights ( better than other brands' 80/20's), for when my fingers hurt, and I want to give them a bit of a break.
    The 80/20 alloy set by nature has less tension as the same gauge set as a PB.
    But I only like the tone and feel of the Pearse brand here.

15. FenderGuy53

So, in order of preference...

Pearse 600L's, Martin MA540's and D'Addario EJ16's?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Yeah, but remember, this is just me-

other folks may hate what I like, or these same strings may not sound good on someone else's guitar, or hypothetically, even a new guitar I might buy.

There just seemed to be a 'refinement' of the Phosphor Bronze string that I felt from Pearse strings. I can't put my finger on it, an it may be imaginary! But my ears, fingers, guitars like them!

I kind of feel the same way about the 'new' Martin PB, with maybe a little louder string volume and longevity?

* Just perceptions!*

17. FenderGuy53

Gotcha.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.