Phone recommendation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, May 9, 2021.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all. I hope this finds you well.

So my provider tells me that because they're upgrading their network, I need to replace my ancient iPhone 4S.

Recommendations?

Context: After sticking with flip phones until they were unsupported, I bought the 4S very used for very cheap. On it, I've used only texting, the camera, dialed phone calls, and the calculator. Occasionally, its voice message feature when a melody occurs to me (that I later realize was copyrighted by the Lawyers' Guild).

I don't access the web with it, I don't like GPS, I don't play video games, etc. I even prefer our battery alarm clock.

So something inexpensive (as these $-sucks go), simple, minimal. If such things are even made these days. Hopefully also something that won't get update-antiquated in the next year.

Thanks!

2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Funny - my main personal phone is still an Iphone 4S. I have a 6, 8, and 10 for work however.

My wife really likes her Samsung Android she got last year. It was around $100.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am an Android enthusiast. I just think they are more flexible. But the newest ones do not have user-replaceable batteries. This is important for troglodytes such as myself.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife and I have had a couple of cheap Androids from Walmart, less than $150 at the time we got 'em. I think the same phone, newer model is only $100 now. No complaints.

5. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Why would you -not- access the internet with an internet capable device?

You use the internet, you use the phone... but never together?

Its not like using the Alfredo spoon in the marinara bucket at Old County Buffet.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Generally speaking- Iphones charge quicker and hold a charge better, and have better cameras
    Still cost-wise and to not have to be associated with the Evil Empire any more than necessary-I prefer a Samsung Android

7. RoscoeElegante

When I'm away from my desktop, which bolts me down 10-16 hours a day, seven days a week, nine months a year, I'm as unplugged as can be.

I need a phone just to stay in contact with my four kids, call the cops when the frat kids hit their kegs, calculate how low my bank account is by subtracting what I just spent via my debit card or wrote on a check, and to take, send, and receive pix. I prefer paper maps, and use said anchor-chain desktop for recording, Googling, like turning a knob to set an alarm, prefer weather checks on the computer screen, etc.

A lot of this is the tiny image and tinier-yet keys. The later generations of flip phones fit all my phone needs. Everything else is, to me, clutter.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

RoscoeElegante and BorderRadio like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use Straight Talk. You can take your phone. $35 a month, no contract for modern phones. Real old phones are getting less supported , like flip phones. But if still supported it's $30 a month. I have an iPhone SE, iPhone 5 basically. I bought from them for $79. I dont do email or web either, although I can. I do like GPS mapping etc. They may support the 4S, I dont know.

Do I like my iPhone? Not that much really, if changing I would probably find an Android to try. iPhones are fraught with unresolved issues, although, they do a lot of good things too.
    For instance:
    -If I start a group text. Some replys will come in a different stream of texts and some will come on the original text. I have no idea why this is, or if everyone in the group is seeing all the replys. It's like there are now two different text streams happening. This is the pits for arranging things like band rehearsal, or family picnics etc.
    -There are many issues with pictures, sometimes they wont send, sometimes they will. Sometimes they can be emailed, sometimes they can't. It's not just me. The internet is filled with people trying to solve it.
    -Certain combinations of settings drain your battery in a few hours... with no phone usage! Again, the internet is filled with this issue and solutions that don't resolve it. There are background things running in some settings.
    -Some people will not get texts at all! My Sax player has an old phone. He cannot get my texts.
    -When trying to add people to a text, some people's cell phone numbers will not show up as an option. Instead their email only shows up. Their cell number is in my phone though and I can add their number manually. All the emails showed up in my phone automatically, I dont want them in my phone, but I see no option to stop them being there.

Do Androids have these issues?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I use my iPhone for telephone and internet. The difference between the top models available in December from T-Mobile was less than $10/month. I took the iPhone to avoid having to learn a new operating system. I also like that the charge in my iPhone lasts morning to the evening the second day without having to switch to airplane mode or turn off apps. I've had zero problems with it. My wife has an Android that I just can't deal with. To me, if you can buy a phone to use only as a phone, get a cheap one. If you make use of features and apps, get one that's easy for YOU to use. Cheap, good, easy? Pick two.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

73CC2E14-6A2D-44A3-A701-D8A0437C93B9_4_5005_c.jpeg

JL_LI, gimmeatele and RoscoeElegante like this.
  12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I am not into phones. Leave my cell phone at home most the time I am out. Bought a less expensive one. About 1 year ago, I was told my G3 phone would become obsolete before Fall and I needed a newer one. I couldn't select one because I want a real qwrety keyboard on one. Well here it is a year later. My phone connects just fine!

13. RoscoeElegante

If the cord were long enough, AND you could tune it to open D, and my wallet could carry all the important pix.....

JL_LI likes this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

This is a real thing? I mean, I have the fishing lure, and I once learned the dance, but....

Would it actually be compatible with current hardware technologies? I don't want to be going through this every few months.

Any opinions out there about Mint Mobile paired with an Android LG? One of my kids is advocating that....

15. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

The 2020 iPhone SE is solid and reasonably fast. Nothing fancy, but inexpensive. Finances for about 5 bucks a month, or about four bills up front.

16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

The Google Pixel phones are unsung Android heroes (and love Android too--open system, endlessly tweakable). Mine's going on four years and will only give it up when it's no longer supported by my carrier.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Check Swappa - we've bought 4 from them through the years. Never a problem.

https://swappa.com/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.