1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phone pops through stereo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Oct 21, 2020.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I frequently use Spotify on my phone hooked up to my old school stereo.

Occasionally there's a ticking sound, like Pata Pata Pata Pata Pata......

I'm using a brand new shielded stereo cables with rca jacks.

We have two stereo systems in different rooms, both with new cables. The same thing happens with either system, and either phone.

20201021_205630.jpg

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Well, you said you have brand new cables. Now you have perfect excuse for brand new phone and stereo!

More seriously, have you tried same listening with headphones to know if it just might be the spotify streaming?

3. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

Sounds like it could be RFI (Radio Frequency Interfrence) from the phone being picked up by the audio kit.

The old school equipment probably wasn't designed to have a radio broadcast device sat next to it !!

Try unplugging the audio cable from the phone to the amp but leave the phone next to the amp (with the amp switched on) and see if you still get the noises.

Then you could try a longer cable from phone to the amp and move the phone away to see if the problem gets better........

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same thing happens through my amp. Having the phone reasonably far from the amp or guitar (say the other side of the room) is usually enough to make it not an issue.

ArcticWhite and ale.istotle like this.
  5. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the phone produces radio waves. It does produce microwaves, obviously, but the receiver should not pick those up.

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I don't know the specific "waves" that cause the pops and tings that the OP describes... but it is related to the cell phone sending/receiving information.

To test my theory, simply put the phone in airplane mode with all cell and wifi turned off.. and listen to some existing music on the phone itself (not streaming). If you get no noises, pops, clicks, ticks... then it is the cell/wifi communication that causes the problems.

This happened to me once though playing my guitar - I had my cell phone in my pocket and kept getting all of the clicks and ticks through my guitar amp. Someone suggested that I turn my phone off. I did... and it all went away.

Even if you're not using the phone, or even receiving texts or emails... you still have some apps that use data in the "background". Even if you're not receiving email, your phone is still trying to fetch email on a regular basis. Weather apps use data even when not opened up. Lots of apps do.

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

See if unplugging from the wall helps.

I experience much more noise when my phone's audio out is plugged into the stereo AND my phone is plugged into the wall for power. Happens in the car, too - catch engine noise through the power supply. Less noise if I disconnect the phone from the wall. I've always guessed it was something like a ground loop, though I've never really thought it out.

The easiest solution is bluetooth speakers - but then you're stuck with bluetooth speakers. Less noise, poor quality sound. Works for me in the kitchen or while driving just fine, though.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Splodgeness and ArcticWhite like this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Mobile phones radiate a lot of crap that's easy to catch at audio and plenty of other stuff that will mix with the oscillators in the receiver and become audible.

In your case, having the phone next to the receiver as it is will get it straight in no matter how well-shielded your cables are. Try putting the phone as far away from the receiver as the cables will permit.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  10. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Buy a Bluetooth adaptor to use instead of cables. Cheap on Amazon. When you get it hooked up, keep the phone away from the stereo.

This is how I do it and it works great.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

My phone, or any one else’s, if too close to an amp will make a make a noise when the phone is doing a “refresh” thing. If your phone is the issue then move it away. I think this is called RFI

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was expecting to see a phone popping out of a stereo. I haz a disappoint...

13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

RFI= Radio frequency interference

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.