Phone Orders - Cream City Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by laloka, Sep 21, 2020.

1. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

I was on Reverb and saw a BRAND NEW condition fender player strat plus top originally listed as 616.24, the day before yesterday and I asked if it was still available.

Yesterday, i got an answer that it was but the price had changed to 725.
    I called the store and the guy was like there must have been a promotion or something but I can respect that price for you (616).

He also said it could be a phone order to honor the price. Online there seems to be good reviews about the store but i dont know what the odds are that they will send me something different.

Has anyone done a phone order with Cream City Music? if so what were your experiences.
    I think 616 is a good deal for a brand new guitar that retails at 726, but i was still on the fence if i should wait for a used one or go for this and hope for the best

thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI!

I have no experience with Cream City Music, but others may help with opinions.

Just about everyone reading your post is wondering "What kind of guitar is it?" so you may as well provide us with that info.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Cream City is legit, although I haven't done a deal with them for several years now.

uriah1 and laloka like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

You can Probably get a better deal from calling them if it doesn’t go through reverb

Never done a phone order but I’ve bought plenty of stuff through them

laloka likes this.
  5. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

But what friggin' guitar is it???!

Fretting out likes this.
  6. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

Fender Player Stratocaster

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  7. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

Sorry its a fender player stratocaster
    Fender player strat!

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  8. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

Its a fender player strat plus top

9. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

updated it!

10. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

Just updated it!

11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I've bought quite a bit from them over the years, never over the phone though.

I'm not sure what those go for, but that's cool they honored the price. Makes sense they can help you out if they don't have to go through Reverb.

Their used prices on stuff are often pretty high compared to some other shops, but I've heard you can talk them down sometimes. Maybe that's true for new, too, who knows.

They're a solid store, I've had about 50% good experiences, 45% meh experiences, and 5% bad experiences.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's a standard deal, but not a great deal. It's 15 percent off, which you can usually get anywhere if you just try a bit. It's when you get more than 15 that you're really doing well.

Call 'em up. They're totally legit, they're a brick-n-mortar, and I've had good dealings with them. And I've got killer prices there from time to time, e.g. 40 percent off on a floor model that was truly near mint (but had no Fender warranty). I assume it was a return that was brought back without the plastic on the guard. No other reason they'd kick the price down that much on a practically new instrument.

The phone method will probably save them 8 percent in Reverb and Pay-Pal fees, if you were going to pay that way.

Retail price is about 70 percent of what was formerly list price...though Fender doesn't do list prices any more. So for simplicity's sake, call it a $700 guitar, which would have listed at $1,000 in the "old days." You can safely figure that a shop pays 40 to 50 percent of list for what they buy from Fender. Each retailer has a different deal, and higher volume dealers get lower prices. But for mental calculations, just say they have $450 into the guitar. That will help you understand how to negotiate with them.

They were willing to sell it for $615, and then have, let's say $50 (very approximate) in fees taken out. So they're getting about $565 for the guitar on Reverb. Selling directly over the phone, They're getting about $625. Both ways, they're paying $25 to $40 to ship it to you "free." Let's just say $30. So they're clearing about $535 through Reverb, or $595 over the phone. So, in other words, they're profiting from 19 to 32 percent profit, depending on where they sell.

That explains why they want you to deal over the phone. But you can also bring that up to try and squeeze a bit more out of them. They were willing to profit only 19 percent the other day on Reverb, and now they're going to profit 32 percent by selling to you over the phone. So try to meet them halfway. See if they're willing to profit 25 percent...which would make your over-the-phone price about $590, after considering their shipping costs.

And, wouldn't ya know it, $590 is just about 20 percent off standard retail. Funny how that works. Now you see why if you know your stuff, you can get 20 percent off sometimes. Most shops have that as about their lower limit for what they can sell stuff for, and still profit overall. 20 percent below retail for you roughly correlates to about 25 percent profit on the item for them.

It also shows how you theoretically should be able to get better discounts on more expensive items. The more expensive something gets, while shipping cost remains fixed, the less the shipping cost eats away at their profit margins. $30 shipping on a $2,000 guitar cost them 1/4 of the percentage $30 shipping costs them on a $500 guitar. That's theoretically an extra 20 bucks (one percent) you can save.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    laloka and Esquire Bob like this.
  13. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

This is why I love the internet. As you can see, its my real first big girl guitar purchase so dont really know my margins well. Nor how to look for deals so much appreciated.

So in a nutshell you think I have more wiggle room to negotiate, and fair being around 590? They do offer free shipping

14. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh yeah - when you get John from Cream City on the phone, start w/ this question: "can I make an offer? - I just gotta ask..."
    That was his line when he called on a piece I listed @ Vintage Guitar Hot Sheet.
    I sent him the pics he requested, within minutes.
    After three sets of emails were exchanged, in less than an hour, he never actually got to the place where an offer actually rolled out.
    Tell him Deeve said "hi" and I'm happy to share the unedited exchange if you want it.

When I list @ V.G. now, the ad copy says "Ask about my Cream City Music special offer. . . "
    (it involves a $200 up-charge)
    Peace - Deeve

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Well, I think you are already getting a fair price at $615.

If you can push it more, you shouldn't expect any more than another 15 or 20 bucks off, realistically. Myself, I would probably aim for $600 initially. But you've already sort of done your negotiations at this point, and you aren't getting screwed or anything. So maybe something to try next time, and you take the $615 right now.

Remember that my numbers are very loose. They were only to get the point across that 15 percent is a pretty standard discount, and 20 percent is usually the max they can realistically do, especially on lower cost items.

16. laloka

laloka TDPRI Member

Oh ok gotch will make a note on that then

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great shop. Nice guys. Know their stuff.

Glad to have them in town. Got 2 player grade vintage Teles from them, and my used LP Classic, both my amps, and some pedals.

Between them, Dave’s, Rockhaus and especially Wade’s, we’re really very fortunate for the size of our city.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve dealt with Cream City before and they are legit. I’ve bought items from them without issue. Further, I sold them two guitars and got fair (for wholesale) prices and better than I would get from SamAsh or GC. They sent me prepaid shipping labels and I received a check within 3 days of them receiving the instruments.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I bought my (used) Blues Cube Artist from them and it arrived quickly and very well packed. They must do decent mail-order volume because the box was custom-printed and the foam was the two-part liquid stuff that conforms to whatever you're shipping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.