Phish Radio - Redd Volkaert

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by KCJonez, Apr 5, 2020.

1. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Trey Anastasio just gave Redd a serious plug on xm Phish radio, saying Redd is the guitar player he hopes to become someday, and then played one of his tunes. Anyways, i thought that was pretty cool. Whether you like or loathe Phish, tough to deny that Trey is a serious player.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Trey’s got good taste!

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Never could get into Phish, but *always* respected his playing. If he were the guy with the Dead now, instead of the other guy they chose...

Fretting out and Texicaster like this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea...Fish has too many "inside jokes" Gamahenge b.s..... I'll watch their live streams, if free!

I like Trey's band better! Trey in general seems like a cool dude that's not personally wrapped up in the whole mystique of jam bands.

As per Dead and Co and John Mayer.... John is a great player and does a great Jerry! BUT his vocals are terrible and do not fit the songs he sings. In fact I think he has about the worst voice in pop music history! But John can dig in more than Trey with his guitar. Trey always seemed to be too polite about fitting in the Dead and rightfully so wanted to keep his own musical personality. John is into the jams and encouraging a lot more versatility.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I would've had to miss my flight if I had been there.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

To each their own I suppose. I never cared for John Mayer. That he does a great Jerry is another matter I won't debate. For sake of argument - assuming he does, I'm not wanting that. I'd rather someone be themselves in that position, as I strongly suspect JG would have wanted as well.

I'll have to check out Trey's band. I had no idea he had his own.

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Love Trey and his guitar playing, attitude and tone. One of the best smooth dirty tone I've ever heard. I saw Phish about 30 times between 1993 and 2000. Even once at a small club in Amsterdam in 96. I've seen Trey solo several times as well.

Hard for me to get through much of it now. It just doesn't float my boat anymore and really hasn't since 97 or so. But I still love Trey's guitar playing and Fish's drums.

When I first heard Trey was going to play with the Dead for those shows I was super excited as I thought he'd be the best guy ever to fill the slot. I ordered those shows and watched and I was surprised at how bad I thought he was. He said he was practicing 10 hours a day to prepare and I certainly did not hear it. He missed the boat so many times in so many places.

He also did something that personally I have not liked with people filling in for Jerry in that they don't sound or play at all like Jerry. Their tone is nothing like his and their note choices are not like his. I understand from their perspective that they don't want to try and copy him but from mine (and only mine) I want to hear Jerry's tone and lines. Jerry played 90% of the same notes night after night. No matter if it was a solo, the melody or the hook or riff Jerry was consistent. All you needed was one note and you knew it was him. Trey was terrible at that and his guitar sounded like Trey's guitar. Why he didn't at least use one of Jerry's surprised me. I get it but if you got the opportunity would you play it, I would assume the crowd would have loved to see and hear it up there one more time.

I also assumed Trey would get all of Jerry's vocal songs and Bob would keep his own. Oh no way and it still goes on today with Bob grabbing any one he can, which is fine to me because...

I can't stand John's voice. I agree with someone above in that I think it's one of the worse voices in all of pop music. I've even said for 20+ years that I don't think John can actually sing and that his singing voice is actually a fake voice put on to sing the best he can. It's not a natural singing voice. It's like the fake voice the singer from Crash test Dummies used to have. It's not the same as his but it's fake like his.

BUT, I absolutely love 95% of the guitar playing John is doing with Dead and Co. Because, he's worked hard to get Jerry's tones and I love that. Hell even Warren Haynes, using Jerry's guitar, could not get Jerry's tone. But John can. But even more importantly, John is trying hard to play Jerry's memorable and lovable lines. he gets it. He knows the people want to hear it. Why try to go off and make up your own solo when all the people want to hear (or are least me and from the sound of the crowd others) is Jerry's solo or at least 80-100% of Jerry's solo. No doubt John still goes off on his own during jam time and that's usually when I lose interest. I don't need Steve Vai up there. It's similar to me with Mike Houser of Widespread Panic and Jimmy Herring. Mike had a style unto his own and it fit the songs perfect, Jimmy sounds like any maestro running through scale practice as fast as they can. That stuff is boring to me. I used to be able to listen to Vai, Satriani, McLaughlin, Gambale etc.. all those guys all day long. Now I can't sit through 3 min. It's too many notes with no feeling.

Jerry is one of the best and most talented guitar players we've ever heard. He came up with incredible guitar parts that we don't need to get rid of. They are too special and that's why we need people playing them and not forgetting about them only to serve up inferior guitar lines of their own. And no matter who they are or how talented they are, all they'll be doing Is playing inferior stuff if they are not playing Jerry's stuff. No doubt Jerry would not have wanted that but Jerry was Jerry. To me it's like classical music almost. Do I want to hear Bach note for note or hear someone's version of Bach so they can put in their own inferior touch on it. No way, play it like the maestro wrote it. And the maestro played it nearly note for note for several decades so play it just like him. No need to reinvent the wheel only to come up with a square.

I know John is working hard on this Dead stuff and last year did an interview with Steve Parrish that was outstanding. He let us in on his thinking and it was really good and if you didn't or don't like him, I could almost guarantee that interview would change your mind.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. brookdalebill

Great stuff!
    Big Jim left us several years ago.
    I had the great pleasure of hearing these guys many times.
    I also gig with bass player/singer/writer Billy Dee fairly often.
    Oh yeah, them boys can play!

sloppychops likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Huh. What do you know? I would have figured that Phish Radio was nothing but spelling lessons for burnouts, not actual music!

But being serious, I've seen Redd on a Sunday at the Continental, and he's something to behold. Even more fun when you're dancing to it!

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

Redd’s Saturday and Sunday shows at the Continental Club are now just great memories.
    Heybale still plays on Sunday, with the great Chris Reeves on guitar.
    Brilliant dance band!

DaveGo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.