Philosophy of the sandwich

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
In a BLT, the bacon is not the most important component, nor is the lettuce (which could be replaced by a moist paper towel, after all) - it's the tomato. Good thing the season is about to start.

D.H.

These tomatoes are not looking so good - pale and dry.

View attachment 1014204
Yes that is a wretched looking grocery store tomato. I try and avoid tomatoes when they are not in season locally. Many, many people have no idea what a good tomato tastes like.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
You guys have no idea how much I envy those of you that are able to eat a good sandwich!! Part of my aging process has given me Celiac disease, I am not able to have anything containing wheat, no bread and no pasta. If I do, I throw it up an hour later. And let me assure you of two things; 1st gluten free bread sucks big-time, imagine cardboard with crust. AND, 2. it's very EXPENSIVE, like $8.98 a loaf...I would love a corned beef on rye piled 3 inches high with brown mustard and a bowl of dill pickles from Katz's deli( the corner of Houston and Ludlow, in the East Village ).... who said life is fair....I'm hungry and pissed off....

RJ
Awww, man!

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Tomatoes are very important. It's rare to find an edible one unfortunately. Most store varieties are just mushy pulp inside, semi under ripe for shipping. They are bred for shipping not for eating.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I agree that without the bread it's not a sammich but...

I'm +1 on the Bacon!!

you can skip the lettuce but without the bread, tomato, bacon, and mayo, it's not even close.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Enjoyed reading this thread. Some good/funny comments.

Here's my take; L&B = No way. B&T = pretty good. L&T = pretty good.

At any rate, they all require a healthy dose of black pepper. Preferably freshly ground, but regular works too.

And then there's a bacon sandwich. But that opens up a whole new dilemma; red or brown sauce?

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Weighing in on the mayonaise, homemade or Dukes. Everything else falls a little short.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
No mayo for me please, it funkifies the flavor. Avocado sounds great though.

View attachment 1014281
I'm curious......for those of you who have "dissed" mayo.....is Miracle Whip widely known in the U.S., and even the world?
I grew up with it, and don't know if I ever tasted "real" mayonnaise until I was grown, so MW is a "go to" for me. I love its tangy "bite" on any sandwich.....whether BLT, Roast Beef, chicken, etc., although for meats like Pastrami and corned beef, I like a Russian or 1000 Island-type dressing. But I wonder if you guys know what I mean by Miracle Whip?????? ;)

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
A BLT must have all components. I prefer Hellmans. The bread may or may not be toasted. Black pepper and a sprinkling of Adobo are essential. A little Basil won’t hurt

I have enjoyed a bacon tomato sandwich as well as a toasted tomato cheese sandwich

You can argue as to the rank of each component until your arms fall off and all you have done is have your arms fall off

To paraphrase Warren Zevon, “Enjoy every sandwich”

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I'm curious......for those of you who have "dissed" mayo.....is Miracle Whip widely known in the U.S., and even the world?
I grew up with it, and don't know if I ever tasted "real" mayonnaise until I was grown, so MW is a "go to" for me. I love its tangy "bite" on any sandwich.....whether BLT, Roast Beef, chicken, etc., although for meats like Pastrami and corned beef, I like a Russian or 1000 Island-type dressing. But I wonder if you guys know what I mean by Miracle Whip?????? ;)
Yes of course, MW is pretty well known, and from what I've seen, Miracle Whip is dissed by those who eat regular mayonnaise. Speaking only for myself, as someone who won't eat regular mayo, I've tried Miracle Whip and don't like it either.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
In a BLT, the bacon is not the most important component, nor is the lettuce (which could be replaced by a moist paper towel, after all) - it's the tomato

Says you! Bread, bacon, THEN tomato. (Honestly, the lettuce is just for aesthetics.)

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The lettuce adds crunch, so don't omit it! If you want a plant-based version, try a TLT (Tempeh, Lettuce & Tomato):

https://www.thegardengrazer.com/vegan-tlt-sandwich-tempeh-lettuce-tomato/

vegan-blt-sandwich-75.jpg

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
A timely thread for me. We planted our tomatoes late this year and this is the first one we picked. Let the summer BLT fest begin!

001.JPG

Last edited: