1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phil X and the Gibson Moderne

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rock on.

2. InfiniteRhino

InfiniteRhino Tele-Meister

I can't get past the darn ugliness of that thing.

3. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I think Billy Gibbons has one of the original 5 under his bed.

4. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

So he says ....

5. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I wrote an article on the original Moderne for Premier Guitar a few years ago, and after a lot of research, determined that Gibson made three or four prototypes that were stored in the Gibson "morgue" in Kalamazoo and were eventually cut up on a bandsaw and dumped in a dumpster. The son of a Gibson employee claims to have borrowed the guitar to play a high school gig, but then returned it before that happened. Some of the parts were supposedly rescued by Gibson employees who may have built a couple of copies with some of those parts. Maybe.

What Billy Gibbons has might be one those, or more likely, a Japanese Ibanez Moderne copy that appeared in the 70's and was doctored to look like a Gibson. The headstock on Gibbons' Moderne is the standard Gibson moustache design. With Gibbons, you never know when he's telling the truth or BS-ing. He's never let anyone inspect the guitar. There are photos of it, but whether it's real or not is a mystery, and Gibbons isn't telling anyone.

Gibson reissued the Moderne earlier this year in a limited run.

Guitarist Will Ray has an '80's Moderne that was cut up with a bandsaw and rescued from a Gibson dumpster. The rescuer glued it back together, fixed it all up, refinished the guitar and sold it.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Every demo in this new location studio has added bass compared to the old place with all the guitars behind him.

I dont hear it as a realistic sound. I bet they are mixing the sound and adding bass to the EQ cause nothing sounds natural.

My 10 years experience as a recording studio engineer 1975-85 tells me there is something fishy going on.

I wish Phil would go back to the old place these new vids are over produced and not as much fun as the old ones.

7. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe since Phil X is in a room with studio monitors instead of the actual amps we are hearing the sound of a mic picking up the monitors. I agree with you Mark the sound was better when Phil was in the same room as the Vox and his other amp and was mic'd in the same room.

8. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Yeah with Billy you never know. There are pics of him playin' copy with a G on the headstock, maybe a Bruce Bolen copy or something. As for the supposedly real one, I can't imagine him not letting anyone inspect it 'cept for fear of it being outed as a fake. As much as he's about guitars and the way his stuff has been photographed over the yrs you would think that if he had an orig. it would be all over the place. Hey, I've got an original Moderne but I'm not lettin' anybody see it. Really? I'm calling BS on this but what do I know?

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what it looks like. I can't say, but I bet George Jetson would have rocked one.

10. peaveycaster

peaveycaster Tele-Meister

I used to have one. It played like a dream. Wonderful guitar. Sold it to Lenny Kravitz.

11. Blazer

I think it looks like a praying Mantis.
    [​IMG]

Down to the shape of the Headstock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blazer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only pictures of the Reverend's moderne but as ballsy as Gibbons might be, he refuses to have it checked out by for example George Gruhn.

[​IMG]
    The other Moderne he owns is a Bolin-made special.

13. storngk

storngk TDPRI Member

Billy admits now that his first Moderne is a copy. His comments are in Tony Bacon's book "Flying Vs, Explorers, Firebirds, and their pointy progeny". Lets put this rumor of him owning an original to rest.

Now he claims the Moderne with the "G" inlay "Might" be the real deal. I think most people who follow Moderne lore know better by now.

I was told by a guy who worked at Guitar World magazine at the time that Billy knew his first Moderne was fake even as far back as 1984. The magazine wanted to do a feature on it and the dealer that sold it to Billy spilled it that it was bogus.

14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, Phil x isn't that bad :p ;)

15. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree, Mark. The 'evil scientist laboratory' isn't nearly as much fun as the old ones. :rolleyes:

16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, in all seriousness, the moderne looks like it was cut up and thrown in a bin... That harsh line on the top... You can see why the Flying V or the explorer took off

17. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Bruce Bolen makes all Billy's stage guitars, and has for years, with the rare exception of a custom shop Fender or Gibson here and there. Even those Billy Bo Gretsches he uses live are Bolen knockoffs.

I lost all respect for Billy Gibbons a while ago. He's the ultimate rock guitar con man.

18. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

+1

Don't know about the sound, but, aesthetically speaking, not one of Gibson's better creations.... :rolleyes:

19. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Ha, he's goofy but really fun to watch.

20. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Yea, entertaining!:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.