1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phil Spector (12/26/1939 - 01/16/2021)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by djh22, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

You’re trying to get us all to repent in sackcloth and ashes, and without knowing any of us personally, we’re all guilty of being, “high and mighty”? That’s pretty funny! :lol:

Do you think before you post, or just press your butt against the keyboard and bobble up and down?

Stuff him. It’s the Florida reptile farm for Phil. Somebody call the taxidermist. :D

Anacharsis, Jakedog and Torren61 like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

He's making an asinine argument that any of us could have done what Specter did and who are we to judge but a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrites. He's making himself look foolish and he doesn't even see it. He's had multiple chances to bail on his premise but he keeps doubling down on ridiculous.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Hey, man, calm down. Murderers are just like everyone else. Except for the getting caught! Am I right? Huh? Alright!

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I've gotten to use this line in reference to several other scoundrels online so far!

Thanks!

:D

5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

My pleasure. :lol:

Texicaster likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Steerforth, it is your fault I had the most insane dream last night. A young female "weather personality" had had the front portion of her late dog taxidermied and sewn into a sort of "enhancement" on the front of her outfit.

I think maybe the worst thing about tales of Spector is, there's at least some element of contagion present. I think we should give him an expedited burial and turn our attention to the very many perfectly decent and respectable people who have made imaginative and evocative music products. Put you weirdness in your songs, not your behavior my friends. And never complain that your new producer is a fairly staid and boring sort of fellow, after hours.

Jakedog, Steerforth and Torren61 like this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You're displaying a very rigid, all-or-nothing approach that essentially takes all concepts of ethics and tosses them in the trash. If we're not all perfect, then we can't be "high and mighty" - which you define as being any harsher than you prefer in describing (just words on a screen) murderers, child abusers, or whatever. It's extreme and deeply irrational rigidity of thought masquerading as some sort of broader perspective.

We all make choices. Those choices have consequences. Our shared capacity for badness does not absolve us of the material and reputational consequences for acting on bad impulses. Calling bad actions bad has nothing whatsoever to do with thinking you're better than anyone, and it's irrational to equate the two.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Jakedog, Steerforth and Torren61 like this.
  8. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

We? You mean...you. Where's my pimp hand. :p

Minimizing murder while equating it as "naughty" says a whole lot about you.

bottlenecker, Torren61 and Jakedog like this.
  9. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I got to tour the murder mansion when it was for sale. Terrible house and super bad vibes. His gold digging wife who pursued and married him while he was in jail lived there. They said no photos but F them..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkD-Qxn9YA/

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

northernguitar, Torren61 and Jakedog like this.
  11. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

The reality is that some of us might be capable of it. Big difference.

Anacharsis and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The question is, though, what chain of events would any of us have to endure to push us down the road that Spector wound up on? His dad committed suicide when he was ten. That would have a profound impact on most normal people, and in many cases the sense of loss can manifest itself in the form of control issues, which Spector clearly exhibited all the way back in the 1960s.

But here is where his path followed a course that most of ours would not-he became a celebrity at a fairly young age. With that comes the hangers-on and enablers that never tell him "Hey, you shouldn't do that." That's what happened to Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Prince. Over time, they all lost their way to some degree or another.

So we have a guy with control issues who is never told "no," and the end result was that he eventually killed somebody. I'm not defending him, justifying any of his behavior, or comparing my own morality to his-I'm merely looking at the whole thing from a distance and noting how many things had to occur to lead him to where he wound up.

drmordo likes this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I would say some because there are many more people pushed to some kind of edge and either get help to be able to handle things differently, or find it within themselves to handle things differently. And, yes, he was unique if not partially based on his circumstances.

14. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

R.I.P.

15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I had that record.

16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

17. bcorig

Classical psychopath behaves in just that manner.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  18. bcorig

There’s a chance his parents, Ben and Bertha were first cousins but might not have been aware of it. His sister was institutionalized for mental illness, probably schizophrenia. These things can be familial. During interviews Spector frequently verbalized the belief he was insane.

Frodebro and drmordo like this.
  19. bcorig

You must have read “Ordinary Men”.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060995068/?tag=tdpri-20

20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

psychopaths wasn't something we covered in our studies in pretensions of artistic posing, so what does one of the unshriven unwashed and unlettered know from psychos and abstract expressionist angst?
    Nuttin'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.