1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phil Spector (12/26/1939 - 01/16/2021)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by djh22, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Mea culpa. I sometimes forget to take a baggy with me when my dog drops sausage in my neighbor's yard. I pretend to pull a bag out of my pocket, hastily cover the turds in leaves and run away dragging my dog behind me. I also sometimes leave troll posts on TDPRI. That's kind of sausage dropping too. There's more, but you know what I am.

3. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And you're one of my favorite posters because of those turds...

Steerforth likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

When he was a music producer, he was brilliant, though eccentric.

Once he settled into being a mere celebrity, the insanity and depravity settled in, and he was just another run of the mill madman.

Peace to his unfortunate family members.

:(

bigbean, Stubee, Anacharsis and 2 others like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Not dead, but man I wish that damned colonel Sanders hadn't moved in down the street!

6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Well, since he shot a very good friend of mine for no reason, it's hard for me to have a balanced view of the man and his work.
    I know I probably must have liked some of it at some time...
    Bottom line: I miss Lana, I don't miss him and anything else he might have (over)produced had he still been alive.

Henley, unbridled, West44th and 6 others like this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

According to his children, he imprisoned them in the home and forced them to simulate sexual acts with his girlfriend. He abused children, girlfriends, spouses, and others year after year. Heck, he publicly went after Tina Turner for telling the truth about Ike (let that sink in). Then he committed a murder.

No, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. That said, producing some records is not a great balance to meting out huge helpings of suffering to those less powerful than himself - for his own ends - and taking the life of a fellow human being. Taken on balance, then, he was an example of when creative or commercial success should come in second place to basic human decency. Others co-own some of his tale. It's almost certain that dozens of people (at least) knew what he was, and looked the other way. Maybe they were too high to care, or maybe they just wanted to make it, so they pretended not to notice.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

PSA: There are no angels in this forum. And there are likely things in your history that if anyone ever found out about them, they'd be seriously embarrassing, at a minimum.

drmordo likes this.
  9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

That implies such an absurd and 3rd grade level assertion. "Nobody is perfect, therefore nobody has any right to say Phil Spector was a murderer, child abuser, and spousal abuser when discussing his life."

If you think that ethics are about binary assessments of perfection, I don't know what to tell you.

10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

He ran across that line faster than a Ferrari being tested by Enzo.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I don't think folks are going to see Spector's transgressions as normal or common. Probably not a good example of "he who casts the first stone". You must not be familiar with his crimes.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What I always discover from threads about someone who famously did something naughty, is that people love to throw judgement but don't like to acknowledge that we're all in the same boat - we're inherently evil, and it comes out in different ways. The "well, I may have done this, but at least I didn't do that!" thing always surfaces. We can always find someone else who is "worse", which is more convenient than admitting that there is not one of us who is righteous.

drmordo likes this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

What I am always reminded of by these threads is that some people embrace the reality that when their life is done, those who remain will remember them for what they've done - and others rail against that notion, oozing their own form of judgment in the process. We're all flawed. What terrifies some people is knowing that whatever they achieve, accomplish, create, or win, how they treat other human beings will ultimately determine a huge piece of how they are remembered. All that separates them from the famous is how many people find out. That, it seems, is very upsetting.

Some people can accept the notion that ethics exist not as a substitute for accepting our darkness, but as the needed check against it. Rather than saying "we're all bad" and granting themselves license, they struggle with it - doing better or worse from day to day. They know we all share that struggle, and that knowledge doesn't prompt them to indignation at a murderer being referred to as a murderer.

I also learn that there are people who will refer to the long term abuse of women and children, or even murder, as "naughty."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

a lot of people murder, it's a common enough failing
    an army Lt. Colonel Wrote a book about killing and he said most people have to be trained to kill.
    only 4% of people can kill without hesitation
    Crimes of passion, not premeditated murder is treated differently than premeditated murder.
    My brother killed a lot of people in combat, it haunts him but his training saved his life
    Welcome to the central highlands.

maxresdefault.jpg

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good point.

Wouldn't be wrong to call his production style "oppressive". I doubt the experience, was worth it for most of the artists. Except in a few instances.

But if there were no records to be made, why did anyone spend 5 minutes with this guy? He was a ticking time bomb. It never was about IF he would do something. It was just a question of to whom, and when.

16. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, he was a twisted up control freak that became a callous monster after decades of drug abuse.

He died alone. He was likely manacled to a hospital bed.

It is easy to forget how totally awful and completely disposable most of popular music is. We tend to remember the flowers in the junk yard. By weight the flowers don't balance with the junk

Phil Spector briefly showed everybody that rock and roll could be majestic, exhilarating and uplifting. If you could get the balance of the song, the arrangement, the players, the technology, the business and the times in the culture right. For a short while he had all those things in his hands.

He used the pile of session player pieces parts like a symphonic orchestra and fashioned a three minute masterpiece on magnetic tape that records could be pressed from, radio people would play, that were distributed to stores nationwide where kids would want to go and buy them.

I don't for a minute think this level of creative focus was easy. Nobody else in the world at that time could have made this record happen.

The rest of the disgusting wreckage of his life it is not to be denied but I cannot deny this either.

Listen to the castanets push the back beat then on the chorus the castanets double the doubled drum feel. That exists in the mix right on top of the vocal. This was all done with reverbs baked into the original tracks. Because of the state of recording technology you had to know what the final outcome was as you laid down the base tracks because you only had three of four tracks to work with. It's actually genius.

On the backing vocal track (this was probably recorded three track) listen for Sony Bono's voice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  17. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

No matter what else he did, he was abusive and a murderer.
    Good riddance.

West44th likes this.
  18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Things axe murderers say.

Steerforth likes this.
  19. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I'm not righteous. I'm not perfect. Spector was an animal. I'm not an animal.

Steerforth likes this.
  20. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

May he Rest In Peace. I really like his massive early productions in a weird way.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.