Do you dig it? (can give multiple answers)

• Project Binky (if you know you know)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Great - So many options!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the phase switches

• I like the series/parallel switches

• I like the capacitor switching

• I like the solo switch

• No coil split humbucker?

• No strat style vol/tone/tone?

• Too many options! KISS

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Are you insane?!

• 1 Volume knob is all you need!

• Who even uses controls anyway?!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

UK_Biggles

TDPRI Member
1647990576833_Jazzmaster-Wiring-Scheme-Final.jpg

Howdy fine folks!

I'm putting together a 3 pickup Jazzmaster partscaster and never being one for the conventional I've come up with this wiring diagram for a "phat" HSS setup.

Versatility is the goal here - I legitimately play so many different styles so in putting together my "forever" guitar I want more options than I can shake a stick at!

I sure would appreciate any of you guitar wiring aficionados out there giving your seal of approval to ensure I've got my proof of concept right - I'm also up for a laugh so come at me with your thoughts and comments?

General jist;

Humbucker/P90/Jazzmaster config - Already have the body routed as such so no changing that any time soon!

Also already have a vintage spec A3 Jazzmaster pickup and vintage hot A5 P90 - Figured a phase switch for both could prove useful?

Going for an A5 Bare Knuckle Warpig (high output) humbucker in the bridge - I like the "vintage neck/medium middle/hot bridge" concept. A series/parallel switch should help tame the high output of the humbucker?

Lower toggle switch for selecting neck and/or middle with 4PDT on/on switch for series/parallel - By having phase switches for each I have the option of running one out of phase with the other or either/both out of phase with the humbucker?

The "strat" I modded last year gained a series/parallel switch for bridge and middle which not only gets me a humbucker-esque phat tone but also a boost (pickups are also "vintage/medium/hot") - Figured I'd try similar with the Jazzmaster pickup and P90 so they can rise nearer to the humbucker output and gives me yet another tonal option.

Upper toggle switches between neck/middle and bridge - The idea is I can play something kinda clean on the middle/neck and going to the bridge pickup with it's high output should hit my amp a bit harder adding more gain to my signal?

Sanwa killswitch because why not if versatile and too many options is the name of the game?!

Volume control will have an on/on/on switch nearby to switch between 50's & 60's tone wiring configuration (I hear 60's wiring is similar to modern wiring but better for reducing noise?) or bypassing the whole control grid all together i.e. "blower"/solo/loud switch?

Middle pot is a modded tone control, not only with variable 50's/60's wiring but 2 different tone capacitor values - Again I had a fair bit of success using a 0.015uf capacitor in my "strat" to tame the highs rather than remove them but having a 0.033uf capacitor ready on a switch wouldn't hurt if I needed more cut in the highs?

As the Jazzmaster body I have has a strat style output plate I'm using the space on the pickguard for a bass cut knob - Bare Knuckle's Warpig is quite prominent in the lower registers which partly why I'm looking at it but being able to pull back some bass frequencies should help me avoid any mud? Again I've gone with 2 different capacitor values which share the same on/on/on switch as the tone capacitors.

I don't like push/pull or push/push pots so everything has dedicated controls - My modded "strat" has 2 knobs and 5 switches which I'm able to operate fine in the heat of the moment so I doubt I'll have any difficulty operating this beast, I think it helps I'm the mad professor in this story!

I totally appreciate this may be either a little or a lot too much for everyone and that's ok, I'm hoping there's some out there as crazy as I am who love all the bells and whistles?

What are your favourite mods (either this diagram or your own) and why?

IMG_20210706_220706.jpg

UK_Biggles

TDPRI Member
I was up late last night conjuring up my masterplan with accompanying diagram and this morning I've realised a fatal flaw!

The output lug from the volume needs to connect to the far right (when looking from behind with lugs skyward) lug of the bass cut otherwise my solo switch is just another killswitch... Oops!

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I voted two many options. Some months ago i raided my old stuff and found the wiring layout for my first guitar. It was even more stuffed.
My todays goal is to create 4 or 5 useful sounds in one switch. Easy to access.
My advice is first to find out which sound you really like and use, than create a layout to acieve these usefull sounds with just a switch.

UK_Biggles

TDPRI Member
I voted two many options. Some months ago i raided my old stuff and found the wiring layout for my first guitar. It was even more stuffed.
My todays goal is to create 4 or 5 useful sounds in one switch. Easy to access.
My advice is first to find out which sound you really like and use, than create a layout to acieve these usefull sounds with just a switch.

Appreciate your input!

I did consider adding just a rotary switch of sorts to go between different options or "modes", would probably save a tonne of space, time & money and eliminate the (potentially - to other people) overwhelming amount of switches underhand.

My thought process is that as I'm mostly a studio recording kind of player over performing live, and as I produce mostly non-guitar-centric music, there are options that I want access to in the event that I "need" it at some point in time - True most if not all of these adjustments could be made, or at least emulated, after recording with the use of EQ and other techniques I would prefer to have the options so I can jam to find what works and record it as such?

I've decided to exclude the killswitch now, partly because of space constraints, partly because although nice to have to play around with I am questioning how often I would use it, and partly because I'm confident that I could put a Sanwa killswitch in an enclosure to act as a passive box I could plug anything into, and locate the boxed killswitch anywhere I want within reason.

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Rotary switch sounds good, i had that also in mind with my first build. Truth is most player (eg with a Gibson ES-345) just use one or two settings.

BTW: This is a great rotary switch

Last edited:

UK_Biggles

TDPRI Member
Rotary switch sounds good, i had that also in mind with my first build. Truth is most player (eg with a Gibson ES-345) just use one or two settings.

BTW: This is a great rotary switch

Ooo I'll take a deep look at that Schaller switch - I've been eyeing up the Free-Way switch for a different project - looks kinda similar. Thank you 😄👍