Phat Cat Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Jun 15, 2021.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

I just finished my brotherhood build for this year. Thank you Brother Dave, Marty, Freeman, George and others that gave advice. I like it so much I am building another one. I just finished the actual woodworking of the guitar today. Just took it out of my little paint booth…Because of this and that I had to tweak it 3 times to get the color I was after. These pictures are with late afternoon sun so the colors are brighter than in normal light. The difference with this build is I will be installing dummy coils to make my set of Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90 noise free. I am very curious to see if these dummy coils will effect the tone of the Phat Cats. I promise to have a video demonstrating with and without the dummy coils as I will have a switch to bring them in or out of the circuit. Will also provide a little wiring diagram how I do this.

It is fair to say why do this. Two reasons. I put in a set of Bill Lawrence’s (Bill and Becky) take on a noiseless P90 his L610 in a humbucker size on my last build. Love the P90 sound…hate the look of most P90s. The body of this build had already been routed for humbuckers….It is my last body made from this piece of lumber (figured maple). Wanted to use it for this so went looking for a “pretty” stacked (noise free) P90 humbucker with a nickel cover. Only found the Fralin hum-cancelling P90 – Humbucker $330 for a set and it does not come in a trembucker size… (Tele and Strat string spacing). I am a Seymour Duncan fan so went with the Phat Cats single coils for this build and will make it noise free myself.

This guitar is a tele body shape, modified to a double cutaway. Maple drop top on alder. It has a set neck that joins the body at the 18th fret. (same as some SGs). The neck is a one piece roasted maple and I use a zero fret.

The bridge pickup routing is as deep as possible to accommodate the two needed dummy coils which set under the bridge pickup.

The finish is 2K Simtec (used by Fender and Taylor) I used Black, Bright Red, Medium Brown and Vintage Amber ColorTone Liquid Stains from StewMac to tint the Simtec. Put the burst on with an air brush and the clear coat on with a Harbor Freight spray gun.

The bridge is a Hipshot Fixed Bridge with a .175 floor height (higher than the normal .125 floor height because my neck sets a little higher that it should (don't know how that happened).

The tuners are Sperzel Trim Lok with staggered post. Really like the clean look of no string trees

Pickups Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90.

It takes this 2k product 24 hours to cure completely so will have to wait a day before I buff it out and begin putting it all together.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks good so far.
    Keep going

Peace - Deeve

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Why you setneck devil :D:lol:

wadeeinkauf and dougstrum like this.
  4. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Gorgeous guitar! Love the Phat Cat myself. Put one in this Partscaster, in the bridge is a Texas Special.

EDF0061E-FE9F-4806-AA93-BF1E2BA1B15E.jpeg

crazydave911 and wadeeinkauf like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful finish!

crazydave911 and wadeeinkauf like this.
  6. wadeeinkauf

Ran some tests to make sure my dummy coil solution will work. The phat cats measure 8.7K. This is very high compared to most single coil tele/strat pickups. I say this only to be aware it may be hard to find an old pickup to use for a dummy coil that will be in this 8.7K range if you try this for a P90. I did try an old tele pickup that was 7.1K ohm. It knocked most but not all the hum. If you want to try this technique on a tele or strat single coil then it will be easer to find an old donor pickup. I had a set of Dragonfire Phat Screamer Humbuckers I had pulled out of one of my builds. I used these.
    10.jpg 11.jpg
    I routed my bridge pickup cavity as deep as possible and it was deep enough to be able to put the dummys below the bridge pickup. I was reluctant to try to pull out the pole pieces from the dummy not being sure how it was made. They pulled out fine which gave me a lot more room to play with.

20210616_101245.jpg 20210616_122234.jpg 20210616_122411.jpg

When I did my test I noted which dummy would be use for which Phat Cat. Since one is wound in reverse from the other one my dummy has to be wound in reverse (wired connected in reverse) to the pickup it is wired with. This scheme should work out ok when in the both pickup switch positions although only testing will tell how it effects the tone.

Demo of wiring.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  7. wadeeinkauf

Hot glued in the dummys. This is the wiring I will try.

20210617_153329.jpg P90 dummy wiring.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. wadeeinkauf

Put together. Have to do the setup and then will test my wiring. It came in at 6.97 lbs.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Well...that’s freakin cool!

Reminds me of an old epiphone coronet

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. wadeeinkauf

Thank you. I am pleased with the look of this double cutaway. I am hoping I get the tone I am after.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.