1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phasers: use case suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DeepDangler, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I've anyways wanted to like phaser too (I love outlaw era Waylon etc) but found the Phase 90 to generally be too much for my style of playing. I purchased a Phase 95 after that and usually keep it on the 45 Script setting, which is a lot mellower.

At the other end of the phase spectrum, I picked up a DOD Phasor 201 on a whim last year when they were blowing them out, and it's simultaneously thick and chewy but also really musical and seems to not swamp the original signal as much. (Or something! I'm not sure how to describe it... Almost a Univibe texture...) Great pedal!

Doorlord and 19sixty3 like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I never liked that one. The Boss PH3 just didn't cut it for me. It definitley does not sound or act like the analog circuits of the MXR, DOD, or EHX pedals. The PH3 was the first one I tried when I first started getting into pedals. I ended up with a Phase 95, which I still love. However, I bought a Phase 90 because it was a good deal, and it was heavier so it didn't get dragged around the stage, as I do not use a pedal board. Personally I think you should try a Phase 90 or BadStone before you give up completely on the idea of a phaser. You really need an analog one as opposed to the digital PH3. You should hear a huge difference.

The Phase 90 is the go-to phaser pedal for the last 60 years. Everybody from Waylon to Brad Paisley to Van Halen to Brent Mason (on occasion) have used it. If you prefer something more along the lines of the original Maestro PS-1, the Badstone does a pretty good interpretation of it, though it does have one more stage than the original Maestro which is a 5-stage. The Maestro PS-1 is what Waylon originally used before he went to an MXR Phaser and Analog Chorus in the 1980's. Listen to the original versions of "This Time" and "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way." That is the Maestro. Then listen to "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" off of I've Always Been Crazy that is the Phase 90.

Tony Forman and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They have a volume boost when you put them after distortion. You can put them before distortion if you want a kind of Univibey sound, but you won't get that jet sound.

There are a few that have a volume knob, and it's possible to mod others with a trim pot or something.

The Small Stone has a mode that has less volume, but the boost/drop can also vary according to which version of the pedal you have.

19sixty3 likes this.
  5. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Tele-Meister

I mainly use my phaser, a Whirlwind Orange Box, past my way and fuzz but before my overdrive(s) to get a good Hendrix-like "vibe".

6. Telecaster88

Thank you! This sounds right up my alley, and I had no idea it existed...

7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

The BadStone is a fun phaser to have. It also has a phase lock where you can lock it at any point along its sweep, which is rather cool to play with. You can almost get a locked wah type sound. Another interesting one that is on my wish-list is the EQD Grand Orbiter. It has more controls than the BadStone, but it only has 4-stages. But it does have a sweep lock as well.

I like to have different Phasers to play with. I guess you could say that I am a phaser coinsurer. Although I have never bonded with the SmallStone or the Boss PH-3.

*Side Thought*
    Talking about the EQD Grand Orbiter...does anybody know if there is a major sound difference between the V2 and V3? I can't really tell from the videos

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Singer in my old band used a PH3 to great effect in quiet instrumental breakdowns of a couple of songs we did, getting a really throaty wah-like thing going whilst picking eighth notes of chords, was always something that stood out in the band. For a band with 2 gtrs, bass and drums, we could get some good sonic variety happening (B9 pedal for occasional organ hanging in the background another example}

DeepDangler likes this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a Small Stone nano and liked it quite a bit. I used it in three different ways:

1. Rate low and depth fairly low for a little movement in high gain solos;
    2. Rate and depth up a bit more for clean, percussive, funky rhythms;
    3. Rate low and depth moderate in front of big, ambient reverbs and delays - even though the phaser was set more for more intensity, it would get washed out by the other effects and just add a sense of motion and dimension to an already big sound. Sometimes at added tremolo to this, as well.
    In all cases, I think I had the little toggle switch in the "down" position where the effect was more subtle.

Now I use a Phase 90 model in my HX Effects for the same purposes, only with this model in the HX Effects, a mix control has been added which allows some of the direct signal though - this helps me tune in exactly the intensity I want and leads to a more "transparent" sound, if you catch what I mean.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I don't know which to recommend, but I can say that the one I had was not so great. I had the tiny Hotone Phaze, and I found that it added a substantial amount of gain, and had no volume control. If you were on the verge of 'breakup', clicking it on would push you into breakup. It had a nice selection of phaser sounds, but I really hated the jump in volume.

radiocaster likes this.
  11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love using my EHX Stones and the phase 95. Boss is good too. The Bad Stone and several others have a manual mode. Kind of a parked Wah or filter that you can adjust. It gives you the effect without the movement. I dig it. Small Stone is a 2 stage I think. They’re cheap.

12. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I've said it once and I'll say it again...try one of the analog models from MXR, DOD, EHX, or EQD. My opinion when it comes to modulation in not to skimp. You can get an Phase 90 (~$79.00) with a Blu Coil "wall-wart" power supply (~$11.99), three patch cables (~$12.00), and a 6-pack of picks for $93.00 USD from amazon.com...

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I didn't realize Waylon played these genres.... Dukes of Hazzard was probably more country punks than anything....

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. Telecaster88

I love how the EHX pedals sound, but I've never bought one because I've always heard people complain about popping when engaging their switches. Have you had any problems like that?

15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Afraid I’m gettin old. Other than something to do with black fingernail polish, I don’t even know what those are.

DeepDangler likes this.
  16. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Small Stone doesn’t have separate rate and depth controls?

o_O

17. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

I do:
    Fast for faux rotary
    Slow for dramatic psychedelic solos
    In the loop of a loop-equipped delay for extra spacey movement on the repeats

18. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have an old Boss SuperPhaser on my board. It works well in a few classic rock tunes: The end of the Beatles' I Want You (She's So Heavy), Alanis Morissette's Hand In My Pocket, and in Fleetwood Mac's Gold Dust Woman. All of these have ringing, arpeggiated chords that repeat. The phaser helps add a twist and some momentum to the song if the rate is right. The trick is to keep the depth and 'res' low. I use it in mode I. Mode II is too metallic.

19. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve got a neo clone that pops. Other pedals can do that too. Power them up and cycle it on and off before flipping the standby switch. It’ll discharge that pop before your speakers are powered. It’ll only pop once. I’ve got lots of EHX.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have a Boss MD500. It's adjustable on just about any parameter you want. It has a Phase 90 sound that's passable. Then I mix in some clean signal, back off on the effect knob and cut to the resonance a bit. Sounds pretty good without overpowering.

I also like the Source Audio Orbital Modulator for the same reason. The four stage setting sounds great, and you can tweak a lot of parameters.

One thing I learned about the MXR Phase 90 -- if you put it before the drive pedals it's a lot more tame. I like it somewhere near the front of the chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.