Phasers: use case suggestions

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
I picked up a phaser a few months ago and have since removed it from my board. It was kind of neat but I found it was always too “in your face” to integrate into my rig. What are some good ways to use a phaser?

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
I use a Boss PH3 phaser. It has multiple option and it can be dialed in to be more subtle. I just couldn’t figure out how to integrate it into a song. Even on subtle settings, it’s such a powerful effect because there’s no dry signal mixed in unlike trem, delay, chorus, flange, etc..

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I picked up a phaser a few months ago and have since removed it from my board. It was kind of neat but I found it was always too “in your face” to integrate into my rig. What are some good ways to use a phaser?
I like them slow, a la Waylon and Chris Stapleton.

How many stages was the phaser you were using?

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Which phaser did you have? If it was too in your face, did it not have a depth or effect level control?

Doesn't either an MXR Phase 90 or 45 ( style) have just a Rate knob? ( effect mix/ depth are pre-set)
I've owned phasers before ( many years ago) but just never kept as I like a small board, and don't want a pedal on there for just a few songs.

* I do have a Chorus and a Mix control is a must!

Ziggy587

Tele-Meister
Are you using it with distortion/overdrive or just with clean tones?

The PH3 has a setting for 4, 8, 10 or 12 stages. I had one briefly, and I liked it OK, but it's definitely an in-your-face effect.

Yep, Phase 90 has just a rate knob. That's why I asked. It's my favorite phaser tone, but you're stuck with the depth and effect level unless you want to mod it (and I was *this close* to modding mine for an effect level knob). With distortion, you can turn the rate all the way down and to the EVH thing. With clean tones, I like to put the rate around 12 o'clock and get a kind of warble sound. You can use it this way instead of a chorus or flanger. But yeah, if you want it less subtle then you need one that has an effect level control.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Are you using it with distortion/overdrive or just with clean tones?

The PH3 has a setting for 4, 8, 10 or 12 stages. I had one briefly, and I liked it OK, but it's definitely an in-your-face effect.

Yep, Phase 90 has just a rate knob. That's why I asked. It's my favorite phaser tone, but you're stuck with the depth and effect level unless you want to mod it (and I was *this close* to modding mine for an effect level knob). With distortion, you can turn the rate all the way down and to the EVH thing. With clean tones, I like to put the rate around 12 o'clock and get a kind of warble sound. You can use it this way instead of a chorus or flanger. But yeah, if you want it less subtle then you need one that has an effect level control.
He can also get a Phase 45 or DOD 201 and have a 2-stage phaser, which are more subtle. The Phase 95 has the 90 and 45 in one box, so that's an option, as well.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
With a clean tone I can set my PH-3 to 8 stage phasing and the put the other knobs all at about 10 o’clock and it’s fairly subtle. You can definitely tell it’s a phaser but it’s not overbearing, at least to my ears. Finding a rate setting that fits the songs tempo is very helpful.

Last edited:

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
captain-kirk-star-trek-phaser - Copy.jpg

Best Use Case: Saving the universe.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire

They’re great for goth and death rock and post punk. They also sound great with some dirt.

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a phase 90, had a phase 100 back in the day. I’d like to add a mixer to it. It is too in your face but fun for vintage Van Halen and that kind of stuff.

I’ll leave this here:

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Source Audio Gemini. It’s whatever you want. You set all the parameters and can be a phased, flanger, or chorus.

IMadeYouReadThis

Tele-Meister
With a clean tone I can set my PH-3 to 8 stage phasing and the put the other knobs all at about 10 o’clock and it’s fairly subtle. You can definitely tell it’s a phaser but it’s not overbearing, at least to my ears. Finding a rate setting that fits the songs tempo is very helpful.
I've always figured less stages makes the effect more subtle, not more stages. That's why some people prefer the Phase 45 to the Phase 90.

Ziggy587

Tele-Meister
If I ever decide to part with the Phase 90, I think I will try the BYOC Phase Royal.

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/phase-royal/products/phaseroyal

It has input and output level controls and a wet/dry control in addition to regeneration, depth and rate. The phasing part of the circuit is a module, and there's 4 modules to chose from. A 4 and 8 stage Phase 90, Ibanez Flying Pan or EHX Small Stone.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
I use my phase 95 very sparingly in a couple of numbers a night. Usually to add some movement to a slow, laid back section or in the lead up to a bridge or solo to wind up some spacey tension or signal a change.

it can also do big synthy textures with sustained distorted chords under a driving choppier rhythm guitar and bass. Nice combo.

Easy to overuse.. like chorus. Make it count.

Tony Forman

Tele-Holic
I use a Boss PH3 set on the 4 stage setting for the Ol' Waylon sound. It's the first pedal I go into. I use a CS3 Compressor and a volume pedal after it. I find having the compressor after the phaser makes the effect more subtle, and having the volume pedal after it makes up for any volume drop after it's engaged.