Phaser with Wah

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Ok, before you lose your minds, please allow me to clarify my point.

I've discovered a trick which I've been employing lately.

I love wah, but I don't always love its "suddenness" when clicked on or off. It's a very distinct sound. At least my cry baby is.

So I've been using phaser as a gateway to ease in and out of wah for leads. Click off the wah, then hit the phaser and it's kinda like "wah light"

Thought I'd share, as this has been useful and I'm doing the wocka wocka more often now.

Axe

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Wah not. If it works go for it! I use a compressor and tremolo together which seems odd... but I like the results.

Buell likes this.
  3. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i kick my phaser for solos when boring to play with wha.its not the same but gets me along.never play both cause i thought i'll get a comfusused sound...... maybe in the next jam i'll try it

4. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

WAY too much effort for the crappy money they wanna pay here in Florida.

5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I haven't tried them together. But I agree, sometimes the phase goes on when I'm too lazy to use the wah, which takes some effort.

6. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I combine the phaser with Jack Pearson's "Poor Man's Wah" Technique. I've used this trick for many years. Saves hauling the Morley Bad Horsie around!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

I was listening to a clip on YouTube last night where the guitarist was playing tremolo and delay in sync. It was awesome. I never had any success with that combination. Truthfully, I never play tremolo much. But it got me thinking about finding new sounds. Sounds like you are on to something.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I seem to recall a cool effect you can get combining a wah pedal with a phaser. Instead of a smooth sweep through the frequencies, the wah steps through the notched frequencies created by the phaser effect. The effect is enhanced with some strong overdrive. My old lead guitarist used to do this on solos and it sounded like a pretty cool digital effect, but it was just his wah, a phaser and a loud amp.

Buell likes this.
  9. Buell

Buell TDPRI Member

Oh yeah, I've done this and still do on occasion. Very cool transistional effect!

Lawdawg likes this.
  10. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I just recently bought a compressor to use and I have that, tremolo and delay always on. I am such an amateur so I never even thought that may be a weird combination. Is it? Now I am second guessing myself! haha

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My original theory was that they might "fight" each other because a compressor tries to keep the volume of notes consistent and tremolo is based on volume fluctuations. I was wrong. They work great together! If it sounds good to you...it is good.

DLReed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.