1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phaser vs Tremolo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 26, 2021.

1. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. Devanatha

Devanatha Tele-Meister

Supro Tremolo, mostly the harmonic mode. Which is pretty much inbetween a subtle phaser (like the 45) and a bias tremolo. I also use the optical tremolo on my TRRI quite a bit, but have no use for a conventional phaser.

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Yes. While going all choppy can be fun and it has its place, I’m increasingly finding subtle ‘you don’t notice it until it’s gone’ tremolo to be very useful. Especially harmonic tremolo.

It can be set to quietly make things lush and rich. But also, it can be set to add an edginess or a slight tinge of danger to things. A hint of ‘we’re not quite as safe and respectable as we first appear.’ Subtle, yet there, like an undercurrent.

Pax/
    Dean

Big Twang Theory likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Interesting thread. I’ve got a Boss TR-2 and a Walrus Lillian at the moment. The Lillian replaced a Phase 95.

I would have said Tremolo is mandatory. But now when I think about it I am using the Lillian more since I got it. Much more.

The Phase 95 is way too one dimensional. That’s the classic version of Phaser but it’s really one thing even with the Phase 45/90 and script/block options. It’s always really in your face. I think that might be why many people are saying they don’t like Phaser. Pretty much every tremolo has sufficient controls to be subtle. The Lillian covers a ton of ground that’s really far away from the classic Phaser sound, and that’s what I like.

I have an FX loop and have the tremolo after reverb in the loop and the phaser in front of the amp. This thread is making me think maybe I should take the Tremolo off for a while to make room for something else. I really like the Tremolo for classic clean sounds with spring reverb but that’s seemingly a very specific limited thing, not sure it’s really my thing.

5. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

After not feeling it with 6 phasers and 12 years, I’m delighted with the versatility of the SUBDECAY Quasar V4.
    Subtle to out there, faux vibrato/univibe, envelope filter and phaser tones through and trough.
    Barely there to “phaser passage” moments and smaple&hold Oberheim phaser tones.
    I’m kinda cheating since it incorporates a couple of tremolo options (vibrothang recreation being one).
    Now, with a SD Polaron phaser my quest would be ended. Finally the definitive analog modulation pedal to suit most of my needs and then inspire some.

6. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Was not here for 5 year. Glad to see, that, still a lot of good topics there.

Since Tremolo and Phaser are only two modultaion effects I ever use, it's a bit tricky question.

I would say, it depends on current music. When I played Surf-Rock stuff, I had tremolo on my board. However, I would not say, that I used it a lot. But that is general problem with modulation for me. It's nice to have one, and it inspires me, however, it always feels like not needed in live approach.

Now I am into "phaser phase", for more psychedelic stuff. I tried to find compromise with myself by using Phase 95 (compact, with some variation). But as for MXR Phase aficionado, I just can not deal with it. Too flat and uninspiring. So, now I ended up with MXR Phase 45 RI, and MXR Phase 90 RI. They are bigger, one trick pony, but so much more feel and tone!

But, after all, I can go with any of them, or none of them.

7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

This is the correct answer. I love mine.

8. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Phaser. I’m an addict. I have at least 10 phaser pedals, and PCBs to build 8 more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.