1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phaser vs Tremolo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 26, 2021.

1. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Trem. Never had any desire to own a phaser.

Capgun

Maguchi likes this.
  2. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I like tremelo, I find phasers to be kinda mundane. And yet I end up using phasers a lot more then tremelo. I find it a lot more useful. Distorted phase in front of dirt, or a clean phase in the effects loop. Both sound good in their own right. Got to have at least two phasers on my board or modeled board it would seem.

Also, I own three Fender amps and I don't think I have ever used the tremelo in any of them. Always been an effects should be pedals on my pedal board kind of guy.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

I spent all of 2020 building and refining my wet-dry pedalboard and finally settled on my phaser as the subtlest way of creating a wet-dry stereo image without seeming to use any particular effects. It's a Kmise Vintage Phase which is an MXR Phase 45 type. Tremolo works beautifully too but it's more noticeable.

4. Zappastectomy

Zappastectomy TDPRI Member

I have a Walrus Audio Monument Trem. Very similar, it makes me forget about phasers because I can get the univibe feel using the harmonic mode and modulate it slower to achieve the phaser feel. It doesn’t give the grainy texture of an MXR phaser but it is my favorite pedal in a long time. Plus the swamp thing is real!

regularslinky likes this.
  5. Bmoflaz

Bmoflaz TDPRI Member

I have a Princeton Reverb and I leave the tremolo on all the time. Just enough to notice, but not enough to notice. My favorite compliment to it is a BBE Soul Vibe for the extra wobble. It's my go to combination.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The correct answer is Uni-Vibe.

Bmoflaz likes this.
  7. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I use a phaser A LOT.I have a pretty good collection of them.I like to play a lot of Waylon and Alabama.I have never owned a tremolo pedal.I sometimes use it on my Fender 65 PRRI and on my Vox AC15.But not a lot.

8. Tweeker

Tweeker TDPRI Member

This is an amazing pedal.

regularslinky likes this.
  9. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Tremolo

Maguchi likes this.
  10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Haven't owned a phaser in a long time. Moved sideways to a stereo chorus and use that some.
    Have a cheap Danelectro tremolo on the board, use that even less.
    I'm no tech, so I don't know what kind it is, but the tremolo on my Excelsior amp is the best one I've used; really organic.
    Best phase/chorus in the arsenal is a Motion Sound SRV 112 cab. Same reason.

11. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Tremolo by a long shot for me. There's something that really turns me off about a phaser. I might like it when other people use it, but I can never get it to sound right.

I used have a 90s Epiphone SC-210 stereo chorus amp that had built in chorus that I unfortunately overused, kinda like eating a sugary cereal so long that you get burned out on it. I'm afraid that it may have turned me off of warbly modulation effects for life.

12. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

I like phaser. Tremolo as well but only now and then. You can still play all sorts of guitar parts when using a phaser like funk guitar and solo guitar. Try playing funk guitar or a solo with a tremolo it does not really work

And with the phaser I got the Boss PH 3 you can get a tremolo like sound anyway

13. madhermit

madhermit TDPRI Member

If it hasn’t been suggested, try a trem pedal that has a harmonic trem mode. It’s univibe/phase sounding, so it could maybe scratch all trem/phase itches.

TokyoPortrait and D_Malone like this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I love playing funky stuff with a trem going at a fast rate... you almost can't hear it cutting in and out with the slashing chords, but it adds a groovy feel.

Tornado and D_Malone like this.
  15. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

20210129_191055.jpg Well, it showed up today.

Blues Twanger and Telecaster88 like this.
  16. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've been playing some post rock stuff lately and I like the phaser for that. Very subtle settings AFTER a reverb pedal with a long decay. I dig how the reverb trails keep the subtle swooshing going after you've played a note.

But I love tremolo. Something about a real subtle, barely audible tremolo that makes clean sounds so lush.

17. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

For the rare occasions that I may use a phaser, I'll use a Keeley Supermod Workstation pedal. I do use tremelo quite a bit, and I've tried an Analogman modified Boss TR-2 Tremelo pedal with good results. But the tremelo on my 5F11 Tweed Vibrolux clone and '65 Fender Princeton Reverb reissue sound so good that I use those for tremelo whenever I can.
    KeeleySuperMod.jpg BossTR-2.jpg Princeton&Vibrolux.jpg

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

I looked into this pedal after your post and bought one.
    It arrived yesterday, and I was impressed right off.
    There are a lot of sounds in there with the Script options, and it works well clean or dirty.
    Thanks for the tip.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

If you said phaser..... You are wrong.
    To amaze people only use a tremolo.
    Do not try to get away with a rotary sounding device.
    If you do, people will laugh at you and you will get mad at yourself for thinking it would actually work.
    You must use a tremolo pedal.

20. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I do a variety of gigs. From country to Bar mitzvahs. I have to cover a lot of ground. I have a Analogman Modded Boss Tremolo pedal. I also have a MXR VH phase shifter. Only because of the gigs I do I find myself using the Phase shifter much more than the Tremolo.
    The phase shifter works well with dance, R&B, pop and if placed before my overdrive(s) pedal it can give me a real convincing univibe sound too.
    The Tremolo sounds great playing certain ballads, on chords that cover a barre or two or a ostinato kinda feel. Also you gotta have a tremolo if you're playing C.C.R.

Stay well in 2021

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.