1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phaser vs Tremolo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 26, 2021.

1. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I dig that “Jimmie Vaughn” shaky thing as well! I use an MXR flanger to do what you’re describing.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

It's not subtle it's almost cartoonish but I like it and I only use it a little bit if I'm not mistaken Jimmie Vaughan actually used some kind of a Peavey multi-effects vibrato tremolo rack mounted unit but I think analog

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  3. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

It is almost cartoonish. Sometimes I’ll kick it on and my immediate thought is “schidt what did I just do...” but then if I just work it for a few notes something happens. Its mostly fun, it really puts me in the mind to cop as much B3 licks or vibe as I can muster. Thats cool to know he uses an effect as well, I just figured it was something way “cooler” like an actual Leslie or a Fender Vibratone or something like that

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

I could be wrong about the use of a Peavey effect but I think I read that many years ago and that stood out because I was thinking oh that's kind of modern for Jimmie Vaughan!
    Sorry about the voice activation

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

If you all want to hear some crazy use of Leslie effect listen to early Poco Rusty Young
    and his pedal steel he sounds very much like a Hammond B3 organ and actually plays the steel as if it were playing organ chords
    Also fuzz effects he is a wizard

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

Curses! I looked up the Phase 95.

Now gas is back...

Pax/
    Dean

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

You guys who use a phaser. I love the sound of phaser, but don't know what I'd use it for.

Besides Waylon or similar sounding country, what do you use it on?

8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I occasionally use it subtly on leads, phaser before dirt. Kinda sounds like a subtle wah-wah.

PastorJay likes this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

they have really different vibes.

trem is for when you want to sound like the cramps, phaser is for when you want to sound like christian death.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

goth, death rock, industrial, post punk, noisy japanese style hardcore punk, shoegaze.

i wouldn't let a phaser within a country mile of a country song.

PastorJay likes this.
  11. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Leads, main riffs, and wherever my creativity finds a need for it. I play originals.

Jim622 and PastorJay like this.
  12. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

How would you describe the music stylistically?

13. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Clean or "touch of dirt": Tremolo and/or Vibrato. Tremolo is the more widely-used of the two, and more versatile. Vibrato sounds really cool by itself, but I haven't found a lot of music that calls for it.

Dirty or distorted: Phaser. It's one of the few modulation effects that doesn't get overwhelmed by the many layers of harmonics that distortion is comprised of.

Blues Twanger and GreatDaneRock like this.
  14. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

15. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Tremolo only. Because my old Twin Reverb had a tremolo. I use only in two songs of a 26 setlist. And use it setted as a helicopter, no mild tremolo for me.

Now I don't have a Twin reverb anymore I use a Boss TR-2 Keeley modded. I went through many tremolos and this is the one I like (for waht I use it).

...But there is nothing as a Twin Reverb tremolo, period

Phaser? I don't like that ****

Digital Larry likes this.
  16. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Pop rock for the most part, I think... It's incredibly difficult to try to box into a category our own music creations

PastorJay likes this.
  17. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I like a phaser but I my if it is very subtle, nothing like the big whooshing sounds that they usually get associated with, and I am one who uses one in front of dirt.

I also like tremolo and vibrato on clean to clean-ish sounds.

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had a phase shifter pedal of some sort since 1990...Ibanez Soundtank PH5 initially, and then a late 70’s block logo MXR Phase 90 since ~1995...I also dabbled with an Ibanez ToneLok PH7 (a PH5 in a sturdier enclosure)...

The MXR has not left my board since 1995.

A well-used phase shifter can make a simple chord dynamic, rich and full, or can create some different sonic textures between two guitarists.

However, if I had to choose, I’d rather have tremolo.

My first amp (a solid-state Gibson G-20 from the early 70’s) has one of the most fantabulous tremolo/vibrato/whatever circuits in the history of the forever...it wasn’t a Fender sound, a Vox sound, or a Magnatone sound—it was it’s own animal...after years of searching, I finally found a very similar sound out of a Danelectro CT-1 Cool Cat Tremolo.

When I bought my ‘63-reissue Vibroverb back in 1992, it was a choice between the Vibroverb and a ‘59-reissue Bassman...while either of them would have been absolutely amazing (and I would still like to pick a ‘59 Bassman-style amp at some point), the fact that the Vibroverb had a great tremolo/vibrato on-board was a big part of the decision.

It was also a factor in my decision whether to keep my beloved ‘72 Bassman Ten or my equally-beloved Vibroverb...between the presence of Tremolo and the weight of the Bassman Ten, the Vibroverb won, hands-down.

Just like a well-used phase shifter, properly tweaked tremolo can make a song come alive...the funky throb makes certain songs just rock out. The classic edge to my personal Texas Roadhouse Music style requires the effect as well.

So while my answer is “both,” tremolo is more important to me.

jman72 and Telecaster88 like this.
  19. jayiron

jayiron TDPRI Member

Neither! Dirt, reverb and delay! Maybe some chorus, but that’s all!

20. ksmithdc

ksmithdc TDPRI Member

I have a univibe (Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe). It's kinda like a phaser.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.