1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phaser vs Tremolo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I love tremolo. It's all over my favorite guitar sounds: Pops Staples, Bo Diddley, Buddy Miller . . . . I've never had a phaser pedal so I don't know all it can do, but I don't care for the sound of '70s country phased guitar. I like some univibe sounds, which is a sort of phaser, right?

northernguitar likes this.
  2. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

i have some old small stones from the 70,s 80 ,s .

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I just built a variant of the phase 45, the DOD version...which is usually described as a little warmer and more subtle. I built mine with speed and mix controls, which is nice. There's a little volume drop on mine, not sure if that's typical or just the jfets I used. It's quite nice, I just haven't quite figured out when to use it.

telereissue likes this.
  4. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Tremolo for the win! One of the nice features of the AC15C1 is that beautiful tremolo. There are three guitarists in the band so it’s a nice way to pick out a bit of a different sound sometimes.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Me too--with both on, I like to run one on speed 1/intensity 10 and another at speed 4/intensity 6. Give a nice swirl to the sound.

I got rid of my MXR phaser and Dunlop Rotovibe; just didn't get along with them--too much. The only other modulation (if it even counts) is a little slapback echo with the onboard delay in my SCX2. That's it.

6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I would take a Tremolo because I mainly play music fron the 60s

northernguitar and telereissue like this.
  7. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve Tele-Meister

I don't have either on my board, though I did once own a phaser. I use tremolo, but I just make use of the one on my amp.

8. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I have both on my board currently. Tremolo is always a mellow effect. Phaser can be mellow or in your face. Phaser also works on high gain rigs where tremolo has little effect. I think it largely depends on the music your playing but I think a phaser has more uses on a board than a tremolo. On the other hand, tremolo is easier to integrate into a song without potentially disrupting the mix.

I vote phaser.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Tremolo. I’ve never owned a phaser.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Tremolo I use all the time; phaser just once in a while. Those are the only two mods I really need.

11. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Definitely tremolo - I'm a happy owner of a Strymon Flint, so there are enough variations from subtle 60s trem to psycheldelic pulsation....
    I do like phaser - in fact, the only modulation I kind of get bored is chorus (overdosed it back in the 90s) - but I try to keep my board somehow accessable and I already have a Keeley Monterey for rotary and vibe.
    I also use my Red Panda Raster for some weirder modulation. That's enough wobble for me.

12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Gets mine too, i need a phaser before dirt chain. Both my main and backup board have one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  13. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Don't compromise:

14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I use the Latitude tremolo on a couple of slow ballads. I feel that a little goes a long way, so once or twice per set is enough. Obviously, it is not “core” to my “my sound”, but when it elevates the song arrangement a bit, its a win.
    The material is Americana; the three pieces are acoustic guitar, B bender Tele, and electric bass.
    I don’t have a phase shifter.

15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I like both, but tremolo is more applicable to the kind of music I play. I have a good ol' Boss and a Supa Trem. The Supa Trem has a little more versatility but I like the silent switch on the Boss. I turn the trem on and off in different parts of a song to add color. (I play quietly and at home, so the click midsong annoys me.)

I have a bunch of phasers and second the appreciation here for the Phase 95. For me, if I'm looking for a phaser sound I'm looking for something fairly mellow. I generally use the phase 45 Script setting on the 95, dialed in low. A Script 90 at nine o'clock or so is as wild as I get.

I picked up a DOD Phasor 201 last year when they were having one of their big sales, and it's really musical. Can be as mellow as a 45 but simultaneously chewier and thicker. Warmer too than the MXR phasers. Really great pedal.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tremolo,life is tasteless without it.

17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Tremolo for me please

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I only have tremolo. And I use it a lot.

But it is a harmonic tremolo, so...

Pax/
    Dean

19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Can you even still get that?

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

In a little over a year I went from a dozen pedals to one, Strymon Flint. I've used phasers, flangers, vibrato & chorus. Tremolo & reverb are all I really need.

_dave_ and lousy13 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.