Phaser location

Axegrinder77

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
No rules. You decide, as it's your rig.

Is the phaser true bypass? If so, then it really doesn't matter to your fuzz face unless you're running both, in which case you order it the way they sounds like you want it to.

I like phase before any dirt. My mistress and chorus are post dirt however.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I put my Phase 90 between the TS9 and the fuzz...works for me.

No rules, just right!

The-Kid

Tele-Holic
Fuzz face goes first.
Id have to disagree here.

I would do Boss Method. Cleanest to dirtiest and modulation at the end followed by time.

Try this and see how it works for you OP.

I also have an FF and this is the best sound for many reasons. Main one tou can goose it with your Timmy to sculpt the FFs sound and refine it that much more. Other reason is feepl some modulations sound hollow in chain before DS or OD pedals but this may work for you so try and test.

But overall go from clean to dirtiest and leave modulation and time at the end in that.

There may be exceptions to this rule in order of drives from cleanest to dirtiest but find Fuzz Face pedals to be best at end of DS/OD chain to be goosed and sculpted whenever wanted. But id say as a general rule of thumb always set your drives and DS before modulation and time.

Last edited:

Obelisk

Tele-Afflicted
Go ahead and experiment, but the older fuzz circuits generally prefer to be near the head of the signal chain. Over the past decade, I have come to love compressor pedals. I love using compressor pedals before a fuzz to push them while making the fuzz more articulate at the same time. I always have a fuzz in the chain. IME a Fuzz Face doesn't like to see an incoming buffered signal at its input. The fuzz effect starts sounding garbled and incoherent. I personally like fuzz before phase, but prefer phase before distortion or boost pedals. This also depends on the fuzz you are employing. I use a Foxx Fuzz Wah(Tone Machine with wah) which isn't as finicky as other fuzz pedals about its placement in the chain. If I was using a Fuzz Face, I would try it first at the beginning of the signal flow and then move it around to see how it changes the character of the fuzz. Of course, the proverbial YMMV applies.