Phase reverser circuit - have you tried this simple P.I. ?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bendyha, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't recall ever seeing this PI in a guitar amp. I found this in a 1958 tech. sheet. Compared to a long tailed pair, it has about twice the gain, and about twice the THD, which is probably the reason it doesn't seem to turn up in HIFI amps, but since when has a bit of distortion ever worried us guitar amp builders. Does anyone have any experience with this circuit, or know where I can find examples of it either used or written up anywhere.
    upload_2019-9-10_23-22-16.png

2. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Does not the old Supro Thunderbolt use this PI scheme?

[​IMG]

3. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

With small differences, Ampeg B-15 and V4.
    Principle of operation, with a small variation on your circuit at the end of the page: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/paraphase.html

He says: "if the power valves are fixed biased then the paraphase will needs its own coupling cap and grid leak from the junction of Rf and R1". For an example see V4.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Is that a switch that grounds out the signal from the upper V4? Why?

5. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Yes, it acts as a 'STAND BY' switch, by shorting the signal to ground, so it does not drive the following tubes' grids.

6. Bendyha

Nope, that is just a standard paraphase. Quite a different kettle of fish.
    upload_2019-9-11_9-37-40.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. Bendyha

Ah...Merlin....the "Floating Paraphase" thats more like it. Other than the occasional mention, one doesn't seem to find much written about it. Crowhurst as usual is a good source.
    I've never seen the gain and distortion levels listed, and compared to a LTP before.

The B-15 schem I have is a different PI....So is the V4, which is just a Schmitt.

8. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

A floating paraphase is on my list.

It took me a decade to get round to my first push pull amp so you don't want to wait for any experience from me to try it though!

Bendyha likes this.
  9. Bendyha

Looking around a bit further, there are a few different ways, or rather, subtle differences between, various circuits that get the moniker "Floating Paraphase".
    Some are just subtle changes of resistor values in an effort to better balance the output (or rather the input to second tube to match that of the first) , other changes make the circuit quite different; sort of like the difference between a true Schmitt PI, and the Fender LTP. It seems the range between floating, non-floating, and side-branch PI's, and thier derivatives can be quite fine before one becomes the other, or unique in its own right.

Still seeking a guitar amp schematic with a simple floating paraphase....will have to make dig through my archives again, and gatherwhat I find together.

The raw symmetrical simplicity of the circuit in the OP is what I find so appealing.

10. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

This, from V4 1971.
    Same thing except the signal for the second tube is taken from *before* the coupling caps, and so it needs "its own coupling cap and grid leak from the junction of Rf and R1".
    And instead of 1M/1M the split is 820K/1M, for symmetry.

V4 1971 PI.PNG

Bendyha likes this.
  11. Bendyha

Closer, and different from the Ampeg, is the 1954 Fender 5D8 wide panel/low power Twin, with its self-biasing/ floating PI. But the cathode resistor is not shared, so it is not quiet the same sort of floating topology as the OP, or the one Merlin shows. This was a short lived circuit at Fender, but highly regarded by many.
    upload_2019-9-11_19-41-46.png

12. timfred

timfred TDPRI Member

Ampeg Reverberocket

One feature or issue is that at the onset of clipping, often the first half of the triode clips asymmetrically while the second half clips symmetrically. Maybe that's a good sound to you, maybe not.

Bendyha likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.