1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phase Problem - Nashville Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PJ55, Apr 30, 2012.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK - this shouldn't be this tough...but I changed-out the neck pickup in my Nashville Power Tele (pickup wiring is the same as the non-power version) and everything is good expect the middle & bridge setting is out-of-phase. Seems odd since all the other stops are fine. I did reverse the polarity of the new pickup and that didn't do anything at all. Bad switch? I am following the Fender diagram, but can't seem to phase the middle pickup correctly. Any ideas?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

>everything is good expect the middle & bridge setting is out-of-phase<

I don't know if that's a typo as you didn't change anything there ??

I am assuming you mean middle & NECK, position 4.

Anyway, being the new neck is oop with the middle, you are right in swapping the necks leads but did you add a dedicated cover ground wire ?

You have to do that if you reverse it's leads because the ground lead of that pup ( if like any normal tele two wire pup) is connected to the cover via a jumper wire ( that has to be snipped).:

go to the bottom of this site:

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html

3. PJ55

When I wire the pickups according to the Fender wiring diagram for this model (and the middle and bridge pickups are the stock units), the middle & bridge are out of phase. The only thing I haven't tried is reversing the polarity of the bridge pickup, but snipping the cover ground is something I haven't tried. The stock neck pickup is a Tex-Mex and not having the original pickup that came in the guitar, I bought a Tex-Mex Tele pickup and wired it according to the Fender diagram. All the stops are fine, except the middle/bridge which seems odd. Reversing the polarity of the neck pickup doesn't correct the problem, so I'm stumped. I will try the cover ground trick and see what that does, Thanks for the tip!

4. sjtalon

>When I wire the pickups according to the Fender wiring diagram<

Tell me exactly what you did there (re-wiring) ? You said you JUST replaced the neck.

Are the bridge and middle pickups stock ?

I still find it strange that you have a problem being you had the existing pickups, and just replaced the neck. Moreso in that you have a Tex Mex neck pup. There must be something else you did. The neck has nothing to do with the middle and bridge being oop with one another.

Also you can't just swap the bridge leads, the black ground has a eyelet to ground the bridge plate.

Can you post or put a link of the diagram you are using ?

Dlx Nashville:
    http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/telecaster/013-5300_02B_SISD.pdf

5. PJ55

I had a Tex Mex Strat neck in there and replaced it with what I think is a Tex Mex Tele neck. The diagram you posted is the one I'm using. And, when I wired the Tex Mex neck to that diagram, white to the switch, black to the pot, the middle/bridge is out of phase and all the other stops are OK. Very curious. The only thing I didn't try is reversing the polarity of the bridge pickup. If there's a phase problem with the middle and bridge, but not the middle and neck, my instincts tell me the bridge pickup is the culprit. I've wired hundreds of Teles, but every time I screw with the Nashville, I have some kind of phase issue. I suppose I should reverse the bridge pup before cutting the cover ground, but I thought I'd run it by you first. What do you think?

6. sjtalon

I have no idea why the heck you are having an issue with the middle and bridge being all you did was change the neck pup ???????????????

You never had problems with the bridge and middle before ? Did you do anything to them ?? You claim to only have put a different neck in.

Anyway, if you want to reverse the bridge ( you didn't tell me if it is original) you have to remove the bridge and cut the wire run to the eyelet terminal on a pickup mount screw, and then add a wire from that one you cut (coil wire) into the control plate cavity so you can put that on the switch.

The BLACK wire on the eyelet must remain as it runs to the back of a pot to ground the bridge plate.

This is a Tex Mex pup I had in mine. Notice the black wire from the pup to that eyelet terminal, cut that black wire at the terminal and solder a new one on it, insulate it, and run it to the switch. Then naturally the pup white on the switch would go to ground now.

Attached Files:

7. sjtalon

Like I said, I thought it may be a typo in you saying bridge and middle. The neck has NOTHING to do with those two having a phase issue.

Simply, if the neck and middle are O.K. then switch the bridge, so it is in phase with the middle and then all positions will be good.

May the force be with you !

8. PJ55

The bridge and middle pickups are the original units - the neck pickup is new. Everything is wired to the diagram and since the only thing I haven't tried is reversing the bridge polarity, I'll give that a shot. Thanks to everyone who logged-in on this. I appreciate it.

9. sjtalon

Cool, do let us know how it turns out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.