1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phase-compatible with Texas Special neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PJ55, Jan 22, 2014.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a 15-20 year-old Texas Special neck pickup that has white and black cloth leads and is my absolute favorite Tele neck pickup. I'd like to put it in a new Tele, but I'm not sure what bridge pickup will phase correctly with it. I know Fender has reversed polarity on some models and I'd like to avoid the headaches of changing the neck cover ground and all that stuff. Anyone know if a current production Texas Special bridge model is the same polarity as the older Texas Special neck units? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure about wind, adding the wire really isn't too hard if you had to. Newer CS Texas Specials have three wires. The current CS TS Bridge is South top polarization.

Hold a compass up to your neck pup, if the SOUTH end of the needle points to it, then it is NORTH like most all the Tele necks are now. Then you would have noise cancel.

I would look at putting a 4 way switch in. I have that in my '95 MIM Std. with CS TS's and they sound GREAT in series ! BONAS: ONE more noise cancel position. :cool:

3. sjtalon

Not pushing the issue, but just in case:

ADD A DEDICATED COVER (shield) GROUND WIRE

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html
    ^^^
    Bottom of the page, snip the bare jumper off as close to the "A" solder glob (eyelet) as you can, then solder a wire to that stub of wire (or to the solder blob at "C"... that's the cover tab) and run it to the back of a pot, GROUND. You end up with a THREE wire pickup, good for 4 way switch and/or phase reversal.

4. PJ55

If you go 4-way switch, what's the most common (or desirable) 4th stop? I have mostly 3 & 5 way set-ups? The one in attachment?

5. sjtalon

Well Fender is 1-3 just like a 3 way Tele, 1 being bridge only, then the 4th (all the way forward) series, just like that diagram.

It's what I have, and I would say, being most diagrams are that way, it is the most popular. Some do different things, but to me, it's simple just to have the 3 positions like any tele, that all the way forward for series.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_4ws

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Add a separate wire for the cover (or for the bridge plate of you prefer) and you can always reverse the wires to make it work with any pickup.

But just try putting in first, there's a 50% chance it'll work.

7. PJ55

Here's the answer from Fender Tech Support:

" A current production Texas Special will be the same in specifications and design."

8. sjtalon

I wonder about the neck pup you have there though. Can you post a pic, top and bottom and dc resistance readings. CS TS Necks have three wires.

9. PJ55

SJ...I'll post a pic, but it's a 2-wire, cloth-wire pickup. I replaced the cover about 20 years ago, so it looks new, but it's fairly old. It's not one of the CS models, just an old Texas Special. Fabulous tone though. Best I've ever heard in a Tele single coil, and I'm including all the aftermarket makers in that comparison. At least it's my favorite. Clean and jangly. Not muddy like some Tele neck units. Great in the mix, where as with some of my Teles, I have to rely on the bridge pickup, not the case with the TS.

10. sjtalon

Just that other than the pups they "call" Texas Specials in the new American Special Telecaster, the Custom Shop Neck has three wires, black, white and yellow (separate cover ground for 4 way switch install).

IDK of any other non- Custom shop texas Special.

But hey if it sounds good, it don't mean jack what it is :D

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

+1.And on the fly you always know where the series position is located in this configuration.

I change pickup settings several times during any given song so it's easier to navigate with this lineup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.