1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Phase 90 pedal - in front of amp or in effects loop??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Capel, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Phase 90 pedal - should I run it in front of the amp or in the effects loop??

Have at it gentlemen (& ladies!)

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have no experience w/ effects loops as I have only used amps w/o them, but I have noticed that unlike most other effects I use (which in my case are just delay, Trem, and "Fake Leslie"), I found my Phase 90 did sound better before my OD pedals. Don't know if this helps...

3. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. I run mine in front of the amp and before the OD & distortion.

4. Siva6186

Siva6186 TDPRI Member

Personally I like to have any modulation pedals, whether they be flange/chorus/phaser directly after the distortion and before anything else like delay or reverb. The phase 90 is an interesting case though cause depending on which version you have it may unintentionally produce a fairly big volume boost. I know that mine does this and it can be sort of a problem at times, but luckily I'm using the phaser mostly for solos where the boost can help.

5. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

The tonal difference between putting a pedal in the effects loop and putting it into the front of the amp has never been worth the extra hassle of cabling and setup for me. It might be worth it if you're running a delay pedal into a dimed dual rectifier and the amp is eating the echo. Other than that, try it yourself and see. Trust your ear.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Effects loops are for wimps.

I run my Foxx Foot Phase before dirt.

7. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Cheers folks, time to mess with my pedalboard (when I get my pedalsnake).... my 2c worth - delay definately sounds better in the effects loop rather than before the preamp (sorry Asphalt - but I do agree it's a pain in the axe to do & until now I haven't bothered!!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.