Phase 45 clone

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 25, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

In a 1590a, I may be crazy! But given how well Madbean documents his builds, I think it'll be a dandy pedal when complete. I finished the last circuit step tonight by matching pairs of 2n5457 JFETs and actually have a few close matches out of 20 devices.

breadboard JFETs.jpg

I like the Phase 45 better than the 90, it's "chewier" or something that just makes me smile when kicking it on. I had replaced the guts of my old DOD Phasor 201 from the 70's with a General Guitar Gadgets kit, the old DOD developed a ticking at the output that I couldn't solve even after replacing the electrolytics. I didn't want to keep after that old board and it wasn't true bypass, so I put it away and subbed the GGG. When DOD was blowing out all their pedals a little while ago I picked up a new 201 and gave my Phase 90 to my son.

Smoothie assembly.jpg

I've been having a lot of fun with these 1590A's and time to experiment with some small Vero builds in the future that should fit in an A size box. I think I may just use Madbean's drill templates for stuff like that, they're really good, I've built four so far plus the "Smoothie" phaser (LPB boost, Rangemaster with charge pump, Orange Squeezer comp, Flatline optical comp) and they've all gone together very nicely.

FuzzDog has a range of A size builds too...hmmm :D But next in the queue is the Electric Druid Flangelicious, and that sure won't fit in a 1590A!

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Time to assemble:
    Smoothie construction.jpg

BobTheOwl and jimbach like this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'm phasin' now :)
    Smoothie complete.jpg

4. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looks cool, I did an Madbeans NomNom phase 90 a couple of years ago.

zippofan likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have really enjoyed all of the Madbean builds I've done, from the 1590A pedals, one of his G sized boxes (the Flatline compressor, I liked it so much I built both sizes lol), the sub-mini tube overdrive, Maestro Phaser and a VFE Pinball equalizer. Great documentation, easy to follow and entertaining build docs, probably my favorite PCB maker. I've built many (too many!) from Aion, FuzzDog, BYOC, GGG, Dead End, TH Custom, Nucleon, Rullywow, Pedal PCB, Guitar PCB and others, the Madbean circuits always work first try and sound good, plus the drilling templates are spot on!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.