PettyJohn Drive (any info)

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Not sure if I am new to the party, but, this one looks like it might have potential going on.

The vid below probably not fair, since it is that super dude with boutique amps, but, I heard
on a cheaper vid, some nice breakup.

Anyone tried these? Never heard of the mfg

Last edited:

sanfi4u

Tele-Meister
Pettyjohn has released its flagship PettyDrive pedal in 2015. Chime released recently is an enhanced version of PettyDrive right channel. Think of it as a DOD250 inspired drive built with premium hi-fi components. Must be in the top rank. Can't share personal experience 'cause mine is on the way yet.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
I am thinking of getting one of these - I play mostly accompanying rhythm for my vocals with occasional licks for color. With respect to genre I play mostly Classic to country rock with some country and pop songs, basically what ever suits my voice as I do a lot of solo gigs in eating establishments.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Andy at PGS doesn't play boutique amps. He usually plays a DRRI.

As for the pedal, I want but can't see spending $350 on a boost/drive pedal.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never heard Andy do a "bad" sounding demo with any pedal, so there is that to consider .

And I can't see spending $350 on a boost / drive pedal either.

pokett

TDPRI Member
I've never heard Andy do a "bad" sounding demo with any pedal, so there is that to consider .

And I can't see spending $350 on a boost / drive pedal either.

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw someone commenting that he obviously is supporting selling these pedals and so wouldn't do/say something that would make them look bad.

What I think I decided for myself is, if I don't like/can't see a use for a pedal after seeing him demo it, than I know it's not for me, since he likely gave it the chance to sound about as good as possible. The challenge is if I **do** like it after his demo… since I'm no Andy as a player!

nrand

Friend of Leo's
I notice Shawn has one on his Opry touring board too. The Chime price has come down a little to $229.00.

Still considering.....

Last edited:

nrand

Friend of Leo's
The Chime alone is only $229 RRP - while the Pettyjohn Drive pedal, which incorporates the Chime circuits with the Iron Pedal circuits is a bit more, from $270 and up on ebay. V2 of the PettyJohn Drive pedal is around $400.
I do not need the Iron Circuitry for what I play.

For price comparison it is about $45 less than the Paisley OD - though with a really different sound, less harsh to my ears.

Last edited:

sanfi4u

Tele-Meister
The Chime alone is only $229 RRP - while the Pettyjohn Drive pedal, which incorporates the Chime circuits with the Iron Pedal circuits is a bit more, from $270 and up on ebay. V2 of the PettyJohn Drive pedal is around $400.
I do not need the Iron Circuitry for what I play.

For price comparison it is about $45 less than the Paisley OD - though with a really different sound, less harsh to my ears.
The Chime is a very good drive pedal and with a price tag $229 it worth every cent imho. Wampler Paisley Drive is also quite good, but a bit overpriced at its $219.97. Choosing of these two I'd go for the Chime. Well, that's exactly what I actually have done :).
A side note: it's more correct to compare a Paisley Drive to the Iron. They are closer relatives circuitwise.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
In the end I was able to get a Chime for $214 on one of those temporary ebay sales. This fills put my Electric pedal needs for the forseeable future.
My main three pedals are Keeley C4, Chime, and Belle Epoch. I also have a red Panda Context reverberator in the effects loop of my amp.
I am pretty well covered now.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
I agree with your comment about the Iron and the Paisley, but not many mid-high end ODs do compare easily with the chime. The closest relative I could find is the TC Spark, though it is more of a clean boost unit, and nowhere near as musical as the Chime IMHO.