Petty, Springsteen and Keef Tele color?

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
The butterscotch color happens as a result of the nitro aging. The color is really a blond with a nitro that ambers up over the years. Behlen make a color that is very similar to the original blond color of the 1950's blackguards. I have used it and have been happy with the results. It doesn't take much of it to get the see though grain coat.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Some people are confusing clear(er)-finish early '50s models with late '50s painted models. Apples and oranges.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Were all three of their tele's originally the same color? What was the official color, butterscotch blonde?

I was looking at MJT guitar bodies and the only color they have that is close is vintage white but it seems a little lighter than the tele's of those mentioned above.

Where's the best place to get a tele body like Petty, Springsteen and Keef's?

Thanks
Yes the color is what we call butterscotch today. For the 1st 3 or 4 years of production from 1950 to about 1953, all the Broadcasters, Esquires, Nocasters and Teles were mostly this color except maybe special order. Like others have posted they were lighter initially and darkened over the years. Fender currently offers both the American Performer and MiM Player in butterscotch. There have been several models of Teles in butterscotch over the years, so they are plentiful on the used market.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c589--Fe...ldCI6eyJCb2R5IFNoYXBlIjpbIlRlbGVjYXN0ZXIiXX19

FndrMimBtrscth.jpg

Last edited:

shallbe

Tele-Meister
Nice Tele! That is about what I'm looking for. What model is that?

That is a home build partscaster. Guitar Mill ash body. Their nitro aged finish, and it looks and feels wonderful. The grain is clearly visible and it is not thick or sticky. Real old school nitro, which you cannot get from Fender---they are not allowed to spray the old stuff (EPA). Modern Fender nitro to me is often soft and sticky, and sometimes thickly applied. Real old school nitro is typically thin and hard---I spray it as well and it dries to the touch in an hour.

The neck is a 1" all the way Musikraft finished in oil.

The guitar is so crazy good I would not trade it for a Masterbuilt Fender. I've done full bad gigs playing lots of musical styles with just this guitar and have had a blast every time. It is truly inspiring. Can't put a price on that.