Pet Gila Monsters

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have owned ( in my youth ) several Large reptiles from a 7 foot western Checkered garter snake ( thenophus elegans ,elegans) that gave live birth as soon as i got her ( now there were 9) , to an 8 lb Golden Tegu ( tupinambis negropunctatus) who was captive raised and friendly, to his mate who was 3 Lbs and would charge you at every opportunity with bad intent, to several large savanah monitor and Goanna, ( species Veranus) guarenteed to grow to at least 9 feet long and weigh almost 70 lbs.)

the question one has to ask is : WTF are you going to do with these animals when they get to full grown, and how many neighbours dogs , Cats rabbits , kids can you feed it. Not to mention where will you keep it , venomous animals have specific legal requirements to be met to house these, including a secure cage with 3-4 seprate locking mechanisms to prevent escape , finding a vet who will look at these animals let alone creating a suitable clean environment that will fullfill their natural instincts. these are real concerns and the reasons why i dont do this any more.

on the positive, I learned a ton about these animals, that did not show up in any comprehensive books , like Pythons have a pevic girdle abd 2 cloacal spurs used to lock when mating , but for as ancient as these animals are is this the vestage of the animal with receding legs, or is it evolving legs ? also a python will coil around their eggs and physically raise its body temp by 2 degrees C
( so much for being cold blooded, actual term is Ectothermic)
and there are only a few books, one series "the biology of the reptilia" a 12 volume university level series was the closest but the info was outdated and as of my last enquirey had not been updated.

all reptiles are gorgeous but worthy of our respect, fascinating animals we know nothing about

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i'll stick to these cuties, thanks.

gecko.jpg

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
My brother keeps a bearded dragon named Spike. A funny little critter and surprisingly affectionate.

1649533223394.png

When I was a kid we had turtles, skinks, salamanders, frogs, toads and garter and bull snakes but I would draw the line at anything venomous

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Have you ever wanted to have a pet Gila Monster?
They have beautiful skin and are deceptively laconic in their appearance.
I tend to think of them as the Defensive Linebacker of the pet lizard cult.
Here's a brief description of the Gila Monsters general characteristics

WARNING NOTE THESE REPTILES ARE VENOMOUS.
The venom of a Gila monster is considered to be as toxic as that of a western diamondback rattlesnake. Milking H. suspectum for its venom it can yield up to 2 ml (0.070 imp fl oz; 0.068 US fl oz). The Gila monster's bite is normally not fatal to healthy adult humans.

The Gila monster's bite may be agonising, but humans have been using the lizard's venom to save lives. Over 30 years ago scientists discovered the potential of Gila monster venom as a treatment for type 2 diabetes.

ATTENTION: These lizards can not be tamed.

View attachment 971538 View attachment 971539
Pass.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Lots of people keep venomous reptiles. I prefer a dog. They are good companions and not constantly working out how to kill you.

I think you can legally keep venomous reptiles in AZ with no oversight.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Gosh I'm sure hoping someone starts a thread on the gentle love of the Brown Recluse vs. the erotic demands of the Black Widow.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
Every spring and summer they come out to mate and end up in our back yard.

They will come up on our patio frequently and hang out for hours sometimes. Just chillin.

I've seen them dunk in the pool for a drink. They eat a ton of eggs; quail, birds, snake...

Beautiful creatures. They are basically blind and smell with their tongues. Slow moving. Really incredible actually.

I have lots of pics and some videos. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Oh, sometimes the landscapers will pick them up to play with them. Go figure.