Pet birds.... I think I'm gonna have to tolerate them

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Aug 26, 2019.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

When I was about 10 or so, my parents got a Mynah bird named Henry that I had to feed and clean up after. He had a cage made of sheet metal on the sides, back and bottom, and the rear half of the top. It was bars otherwise. That bird could fling its poop over the top of its cage and hit the wall behind the cage. I hated that bird... Hated.

Ever since, I've sworn I'd never have a pet bird. My wife and I met about 8 1/2 yrs ago, and over time I learned she loved birds and has kept them in the past. I've never budged on my hate.

But now she's found a sibling pair of Conures that she wants, and I think I'm going to have to learn to live with birds. She's not going to get them unless I say OK, and I think I will. But I'm not cleaning up after them. At. All. She says conures are fairly quiet and friendly.

I already know what I'm going to do... I'm not asking for advice. I'm also not grouching about the situation, but I am sighing.

Here's a pic of the birds. They're pretty, but I just think birds belong outdoors.
    received_2415550938705066.jpeg

2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

My wife wants a kitten. I get to the point I need to clean up after cats before her. I just say no.

OldDude2 and geoff_in_nc like this.
  3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I hear ya, and feel exactly the same way. Useless pets. My kids begged us for budgies, I refused, my wife caved. Now all I do is clean up bird mess of one form or another.

What annoys me most is we have all manner of exotic birds right outside the window.

Matt G, Flakey, Chunkocaster and 4 others like this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Do they sing? That would be nice.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

A budgie named Buddy saved my two nephews lives many years ago. During what seemed to be a normal summer storm he started going crazy in his cage, flapping his wings and throwing himself against the bars. My brother-in-law interpreted the behaviour correctly and grabbed the two boys off the floor in front of the TV and ran with them to the basement just as a tornado hit their house and the house next door. A large double door patio door got blown in right on to the spot they were sitting a moment earlier. Lots of damage, lots of cleanup. Buddy lived some time after that and was treated like the hero he was.

I still don't like keeping birds in cages in the house. They're pretty confined.

Matt G, Flakey, rangercaster and 6 others like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Nothing like TDPRI to bring back memories. My youngest son liked parakeets. Are they the same as budgies? He begged me to make a breeding box to put inside the huge cage. I figured, they’re birds. Nothing’s going to happen. It turns out there was a rooster, Billy, who immediately took over. We started with four birds in a cage. Then there were six. As soon as the young were fledged, Billy took another femme into the box and then there were nine. Then there were twelve. We had to get rid of them. My son gave six away at middle school but by the time they were gone we had thirteen. My son and my wife made the rounds of pet shops but came home with new breeding stock. This didn’t end until 10th grade when he did all he could to bring classmates home to his own breeding box. The only advice I can give is don’t start. If you bring home brother and sis and give them someplace to hide, the young will have the genetic fitness of rural Floribama. Don’t start. Just say no. Don’t let it happen.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Our blue and gold macaw we've had for almost 20 years and the inspiration for my name and avatar. It's like having a two year old with megaphone and chainsaw attachments.

abe.jpg

Matt G, Boubou, beach bob and 16 others like this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I kept a friend's talking parrot for a weekend. Cute for an hour, torture by Sunday afternoon.

Also, when my older brother was 13 (I was 9) my parents set him up with an avaiary(?) and 100 parakeets. He got a job as a bag boy at a mom and pop grocery store.
    Left me to feed and clean after the damn parakeets everyday.
    I was so glad when they finally all died off.

Hated birds ever since, but hey, it might be good.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  9. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Conures quiet and friendly???? Wanna see video of my wife’s Sun attacking me for getting too close to her?
    Quiet???
    She just went in to cover him for night else he will shriek all night. Keeping the neighbors awake too.

Generally they will bond tighty to one human. Pick the stronger one is my advice.
    I use leather gloves to pick him up out of the cage any more. He gets sick pleasure in chomping my fingers.

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

My Ex-Wife had an on again off again love of birds. After the divorce she got a pair of Conures & while I found them neat in comparison to the Budgies we had, they were still birds. They weren't a bonded pair & came from 2 different places at 2 different times.

At first one liked me quite a lot as he was hand raised by a man & when I came to get my kids he would always come right to me. Over time, he bonded with my daughter. One of the last times I saw him I was taking care of them while my X & kids were away for vacation. The F#*%$'r bit me hard enough to draw blood. She only kept them for a couple years as they were too hard to take care of. They typically bond with one person & mostly tolerate others.

I'm of the frame of mind that if you can't have an animal loose in your yard & it doesn't come to you (on it's own idea) for affection, it's more of a prisoner than a pet.

Not a fan of pet birds, reptiles or fish. Dogs & cats all day long though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  11. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Conures are Satans spawn.

ymmv

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Just remember that they're incontinent, so if they're allowed to fly around the house there will be bird crap on the furniture.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

My Sumatra parrot says good morning every day when I take the cover off his cage. Likes to play peek-a-boo. Knows a few simple melodies, like Camptown Ladies and the Old Spice jingle. We're working on the Carling jingle now. (Mable, Black Label).

14. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

"Vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie."

-The Clash

bender66, geoff_in_nc and verb boten like this.
  15. geoff_in_nc

The plan is they'll have a large cage in the back room (converted from a garage long before we bought the house... Sound doesn't get out) and a cage in my wife's office. They'll be hers plain and simple. I won't be messing with them...at least that's my plan.

Shuster, verb boten and G.Rotten like this.
  16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Good luck with that!

bender66, Shuster and geoff_in_nc like this.
  17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Teach them something useful

Obsessed, teleman1 and geoff_in_nc like this.
  18. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Teach ‘em this

geoff_in_nc and verb boten like this.
  19. geoff_in_nc

The website I looked at says conures *can* talk, but they're generally not prolific. I'm thinking I should hook up a looper into a small Amp and teach them to say sort of bad words (not truly offensive) on an infinite loop. Lol

20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

One will learn to call you "daddyo" and when he sees you 1st thing in the morning will squawk "hello daddyo!" and your heart will melt.

Or maybe not.

Chunkocaster, Shuster and geoff_in_nc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.