1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Perspective on what we spend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Only thing worse that someone who blows money on their own hobbies chastising me for owning so many guitars are the people that, after finding out that I purchased an expensive Fender Custom Shop guitar, tells me that they only spent $250 on whatever type guitar that sounds and plays fantastic. The first scenario very rarely, if ever, happens. The second fairly often. One-upsmanship is very irritating.

SacDAve likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

And now you've basically ensured that it will happen in this very thread... :D

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember that game from clear back in high school. The dumb guy would brag about getting a super deal and only paid $X for a car, gun, motorcycle, guitar...the smart guy always fudged the price up a little...that way, when it came time to sell everyone had that price in mind...;)

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

This is where I'm at haha! I have gone a record number of shows without changing strings simply because I can't afford them. I luckily have 4 beater guitars that I have been rotating around and replacing singles on when they break.

All the spare money I had recently went to a new battery for the vehicle, and a portable jumpstarting battery, which is a luxury for me. I've already jumpstarted a persons car in the grocery store parking lot with it. Had to spend $ on brake leak work/calipers and have to get bearings replaced soon, right after the holidays, too.

I finally replaced my classical guitar's strings with a pack I bought years ago. I can be resourceful and don't see being strapped as too much of a problem, actually it is a good way to creatively problem-solve.

beagle likes this.
  5. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Oops! :rolleyes:

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I get that much of the guitar market (upper end) might cater to a certain kind of buyer but almost all of my full-time buddies (and I) are in what I've heard call the "flavor of the month" club! Well, mine usually stick around a bit longer but I still love to check out guitar shops on occasion along with 'net surfin.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine about goes into cardiac arrest over spending a dollar. Literally a dollar. Say he goes to Hardees. It's a burger. That's it. No drink, no fries, etc. Now keep in mind that just on investment accounts alone last year he cleared over 50k. So as he's sitting around sucking down beers and smoking cigarettes if I mention wanting a new guitar he freaks out. Dude, how much did you pay for that ashtray full of cigarettes ? And all that beer that you're literally peeing away cost how much ? And you'll still have them in how many years ? Oh, they're gone now ? Bummer

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's profound.

9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't owned a car for several years now, and I'd recently been thinking it might be nice to have a car again. I had a good used one lined up, and saved the money for the car plus insurance. Then there were delays with the title, and after about three weeks, my enthusiasm for the car waned and I talked myself out of it.

Once I made that decision, I had that discretionary money ready to spend, so I immediately went out and bought another guitar. It felt great.

Now I'm going to buy another guitar with the money I've saved on gas, oil, tires and brakes.

A healthy person should have minimum one guitar for each day of the week, plus at least one backup. If GAS persists, see a music store or go online to guitarcenter.com for help.

As for perspective, I think it was a sage here on TDPRI who reminded us that there are children in Africa who only have one or two guitars.

drf64 likes this.
  10. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

My 2 cents, You earn it, you get to decide how to spend it, hopefully after you've taken care of your responsibilities. As far as comparing your spending to someone else's, it's a total waste of energy. There will always be someone who has makes more than you, and some who make less. Their life situation is totally different than yours, age, married, single, how many kids, mortgage, where you live, etc. If you're happy with what you have, end of story !!

Jimi said, " I'm the one who's gotta die when it comes time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to".........

11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

That sounds a lot like why I got into guitars in the first place. Somewhere along the line I lost sight of what truly mattered, and now I'm pathetically sober with no whores... just a beloved guitar collection. What went wrong?!?

3fngrs likes this.
  12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

“Perspective on what we spend”

Nuthin but time

13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

At one time spending $500 on guitar seemed insane let alone being able to afford $500 fo a guitar. Things change with time,
    then factor in people financial levels and what important to them are IMG_2882.jpg . BTW in 53 years of playing I've owned 5 store bought guitars 3 I still have

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

The funny thing is that a guitar is one of the cheapest musical instruments.

My daughter is studying harp in a music school. Not blues harp, the other kind. The price of a new celtic harp , student model, is about 2000$. That's was for a 9 year old kid. Now she plays the classical concert harp (with pedals), those things are available for around 15 000 $ (student level). You can't easily learn without a real one,. You rent or buy one, if you can afford it.

That's the price of three custom shop or vintage guitars I wouldn't buy because it's too expensive for a guitar... talking about perspective...

15. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

I hate to bring a gun to a knife fight, but my lady has 4 horses, 3 retired. How about a $5,500 a year bill just for hay? Add the vet, the farrier, grain, blankets...oh, and the $150K barn to store it all. Oh, and the pickup truck and trailer to haul them. Hmmm, almost forgot the original purchase price of said horses. And $800 per weekend of competition fees. Happily, she has free labour (me).

But she earns well (lawyer with an MBA), and horses are her passion. If she were into guitars...man...we'd be knee-deep in birdie fretboard PRS's, Dumbles and heavily relic'd esquires.

16. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Got the horses here too. You shouldn't have to buy horses, they should pay you to take em. How many saddles you got? Hahaha.

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.