1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Perspective on what we spend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Jan 6, 2018.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

My BIL gives me crap constantly about living in a town house, buying stuff second hand and driving a "beater" car.

He has Season tix to a NFL team, w/ parking, food and beer he is spending at least $300 a game (it's probably more like $500, but $300 is what he will admit to) w/ preseason he is doing what 10-12 games a year, so 3- 5k there, totally not recoverable, he also drives a 50K truck that probably took a 10K depreciation hit as soon as he drove it off the lot, w/ his goose hunting share, high end golf membership, Euro sedan for the wife, and big house he is working 50-60 hours a week and is barely making ends meet (going broke on 100K) I early retired 5 years ago and have no debt, + a couple of grand in the bank. Last year when his kid needed a new trombone guess who paid for it..

2. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

The pros that I know don't buy a lot of guitars, but they do spend a lot on surfboards, and tattoos, and sports equipment...in other words..THEIR hobbies. We all spend on something. If it's work related, it's no fun to buy.

Lobomov, Steve Holt and 3fngrs like this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Not odd on here, but most people seem to think of a guitar purchase like a suitcase: get one if the other is lost, just to get you where you are going

If I said I buy and swap my suitcase 8 times a year for variety I think people would think of me on here in the same way, asking me why I need more than 1 suitcase/why I can't just use the same one I got aged 16

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Never discuss your finances with anyone unless absolutely necessary. People are jealous by nature. He was jealous when he saw you bought something (could have been anything) that makes you happy and hes clearly unhappy so he hits back.

If that was rule #1, rule #2 is buy used and dont buy crap you cant easily sell. That lime green strat with the naked lady on the body might float your boat, but good luck selling it.

Wallo Tweed and Piggy Stu like this.
  5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

When the big C made its presence in my life a few months ago I shunned my guitars for 3 months. Didn't look at them or play them. Figured it was all too late to worry about.

I just got a new little Squier Bullet Strat ( my first Strat ) and am playing all I can even as week as I am ,the others are literally too heavy.

I guess I feel I might get to enjoy them some or I had better get to enjoying them more. Whatever the case may be friends, get what you enjoy when and if you can afford it! We only get one trip through this mess so make the best of it !:)

What others think isn't important!

6. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I probably have around 30k worth of gear that I've aquired over 15 years or so... 2k a year or 160 bucks a month or 5 bucks a day. IE less than what a smoker spends on something he lights on fire and throws away.

Nothing against smokers, I smoke myself a bit. Things are just silly without perspective.

7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I'm at the point in my life where if I want it, I buy it. Within reason of course. I paid off my cc debt and pay off anything I put on it monthly.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

+1 "..if I want it, I buy it. Within reason of course." - Billnchristy

I'm gigging less the last few years due to family and work and well just life, but in the last 20+ years I've never spent more on instruments or equipment than I've brought in from gigs. I don't tend to go for the "spendy" items, as they say here in Minnesota. And everything gets played/used. With that, and a supportive wife who notes that "guitars make you happy," I don't worry about what I spend and don't really care what anybody thinks about it. What others do with their money, hobbies, etc?....yah, I got nothin. That's just my 2 cents, my limited perspective.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Overall (as in over 45 years time), I haven't received overt criticism about my gear expenditures. I have had people ask how many guitars I have, but I don't think that's the same thing. At least, I don't look for ulterior motives to their questions.

I'm not a smoker. I don't drink, except for a glass of wine or champagne with my wife on our anniversary. I'm not a car guy, or a motorcycle guy. I'm not a golfer. I enjoy fishing, but I've never sunk a lot of money into it; no boats or kayaks, nothing beyond basic tackle. I like guns, but again, I'm pretty utilitarian about it; I'm no collector. I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan, but I actually prefer to watch games in the comfort and privacy of my own home. I'm no fashion plate; it's always blue jeans, T-shirts, boots and hats for me. And while I may spend $150 on a pair of Ariat boots, I'll get the better part of a decade's use out of 'em.

So basically, I'm not a spendthrift. And the same goes for guitar purchases. I've never really had the money to be extravagant, so I've had to be the frugal guitarist. I've spent less than $10 grand on all my purchases over the course of those aforementioned 45 years. But in the spirit of the OP, I do look at the purchases of others for perspective, but primarily for my perspective, not for argument.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I live well within my means and kick money into savings every payday. If I want something, I buy it-though rarely do I make an impulse purchase. Things are thought out thoroughly before spending the money. If somebody else doesn't approve of how I spend my money, they are more than welcome to pound sand.

Nickadermis and william tele like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I tell my wife:

"guitar vs. bass boat"

easy call

12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

My girlfriend wants us to get a boat this year. I told her maybe. If I get a j-45.

Win-win!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    SecretSquirrel, brogh and Nickadermis like this.
  13. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd rather have a modest existence, where my happiness is internally generated (with practical things that do the job,) than farm out all my energy and time for the stereotypical lifestyle externals.

It helps that I made many bad gear mistakes over the years in the process of learning what I have through time, practice, and on gigs.

The vehicle I drive is old, is beaten up, and is not valuable to other people, but it does what it's supposed to do most of the time.

14. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

First rule of collecting:

NEVER DO THE MATH.

If most of us here were to really sit down and calculate the exact amount of money we have spent over the years on guitars, amps, cases, strings, straps, capos, picks, instructional books/videos, guitar cables, tools, service, recording gear, effects pedals...we'd all wish we had spent that money on a gun so we could shoot ourselves in the head.

NEVER DO THE MATH.

That's a very dangerous thing for collectors to do.

LowCaster and DougM like this.
  15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Not spend, INVEST.

knockeduptele and SacDAve like this.
  16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

If I had all the money I've foolishly blown over the years...well, I'd just blow it again.

17. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Just ask him if he knows the difference between a Harley Davidson motorcycle and a Hoover vacuum cleaner?.... It's the position of the dirt bag.

3fngrs likes this.
  18. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Literally lol! And, for you Harley types, I used to be really big into the whole Harley thing back in the day, so no offense.

He's beyond responding at this point.

19. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Holic

We do NOT buy food (or beer, either).

We rent it.

20. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I'm not going to share how much my 2 bicycles cost.

fendertx, muudcat and SacDAve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.