1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Perspective on what we spend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

You know, sometimes I feel like I've spent a lot in guitars but then some A-hole puts things in perspective.

"You just spent $1,500 on a guitar! You're an idiot!"

Well, this genius had just spent $15,000 on a used Harley that he barely rode. "A $4,000 motorcycle with an $11,000 decal on the gas tank." I told him. He wanted to fight.

That got me to thinking, I've probably spent maybe $15,000-$20,000 on guitars, hunting and fishing gear, and golf since high school. That's almost 35 years.

He also had spent like $10,000 on a Chevy stepside from the seventies that he called a "collectible" and drove maybe a dozen times a year. I called it a used, old truck.

Now, this isn't a big thing but the moron made about as much as I did (and that wasn't much) and I watched him blow $25,000 on toys in a couple years as he was giving me crap over a couple of guitars and a shotgun? Whenever I get to feeling like I've spent too much on a guitar, I just look at what other people blow on their hobbies and I quickly realize that a new amp to go with that guitar is a pretty damn good idea!

Omiewise65, stinkey, Anode100 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Indeed - I spend less on guitars than Mrs Hound spends on hair cuts! I have no other hobbies!!

soulman969, Crafty Fox and 3fngrs like this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Selling a load of my stuff last year for more than I paid for it also set things in context

Buying good used at a good price and selling right can mean it costs NOTHING, and you have a profit

I don't much watch tv/drink/golf/gym/commute. I drive a car worth £800 and spend under 10% of my salary

Even if I threw it all away after a month it would still be cheaper than my assistant's car depreciation

4. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

If you’re not spending yourself into the poor house, and you derive many, many years of enjoyment from the ‘things’ you purchase, I’d say it’s money well spent.

The gear I have, I play and enjoy all the time. There aren’t too many other items out in the world that provide such massive returns (in the from of enjoyment.. which IS of economic value to the user) that I get from music stuff.

One last thing. Moderation is the key here. Don’t spent what you don’t have.

5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's all relative man. People find themselves passionate about something and the cost is justified. What I don't get is why would you rain on his parade? Let him hive his Harley and enjoy wether he rides it or not. When I buy records or guitars I sure don't like being told it was stupid. Just my 2 cents

Frodebro, Rustbucket and duzie like this.
  6. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Of course I'm not counting what I've spent on booze, tobacco and loose women.

At least I quit tobacco four years ago.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a burrito last week, but I didn't keep it very long before I moved it on down the line. It was a cheap burrito.

8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

My perspective is the more proffesional you are, the less you spend. Crasy, right?
    Think about all the guys here that seem to buy a guitar monthly.
    Thats being paid by a 'real job', a pro knows what he wants and sticks with it, I mean a huge rock star might outspend us all, but the average working pro does not buy three amps and three guitars a year.
    Dentists do.
    I don't mean to say pros buy cheap crap, but that one Lester, one other guitar and a Marshall are proly the ones they have played twenty years.
    The kicker is I'm spozta beleive half of us here are over 60 retired, fixed income...
    What I mean to say is hobbiest support the industry.

Lake Placid Blue and eallen like this.
  9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

He was the douche who was always telling other people they were stupid for what they spent their money on. I couldn't have cared less what he did otherwise.

You had to know this fellow but that's not the point.

I regularly have had people comment on what I've spent on a guitar when it's a fraction of what they spend on their hobbies and vices. He was just particularly obnoxious about it.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see a guitar I like, and I can afford it, I buy it. Over few years I've tried to trade two or three for one just to keep the numbers down a bit, but as long as the fridge is full and the lights are on I don't sweat it.

I don't worry about the other guys' toys, to each his own.

11. ebb soul

Thats funny what you sed about yer frens scooter, btw.

boredguy6060, Anode100 and Joe Sailor like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I guess a plumber only wants to carry the tools they need

Guitars hold the place in my brain that paintings seem to be for others. I can just look at them and get reward

drlizardo likes this.
  13. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

He wasn't a friend. He was an obnoxious bully. I never would have associated with him outside of work.

I don't have a problem with what other people do until they want to start criticizing me.

14. ebb soul

Another kicker is no one yet has admitted to being a dentist.
    They have already been outed, as it were, its now a put down.
    Nothing wrong with being a dentist.
    I hate dentists.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Steve Martin made me wish I'd been a dentist. Being a bit of a misanthrope to begin with, it looked like a missed vocational option after seeing "Little Shop oh Horrirs".

drf64 likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm odd.
    I have great gear.
    It all works and sounds wonderful.
    I don't need a thing, BUT I still check out guitar shops, at least once a week.
    I also surf CL.
    I actually still buy about 6 guitars, and a couple of basses a year.
    Old habits die hard.
    I flip or trade most of it.
    Right now I have two more electric guitars than I need, and two basses.
    I don't spend much on gear, 'cause I can't.
    Shopping is still fun, and it can't get me in any trouble.
    That's probably why I still quest.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Around my local guitar shop, the guys who come around three or four times a year to buy more high dollar gear are known as "blues lawyers."

3fngrs likes this.
  18. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

When all the bills and the important things are payed for and as long as nobody in the family suffers from my sometimes crazy purchases, everything's cool. I try not to compare my spending habbits with others.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  19. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

10-4. I've been able to remove most of these types from life. There are still a few here on the forum though ;):):D

20. ebb soul

Its not odd, atall.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.