Personal guitar playing test

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Nov 10, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Mine is this Otis Redding tune with I'm guessing Steve Cropper on guitar. I always end up making some mistake, someday I will not make a goof. It's simple but so easy to mess up, for me anyhow. Anybody else have their own personal test?

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

3. HotRodSteve

Stringbanger and Fretting out like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a personal test. If I set out to learn a song I usually master it eventually or give up if I run out of time and patience. There's lots of hard songs I fail at but again, if I really want to play them well I persevere and get there eventually.
    The bummer is neglecting to maintain them and having to start over a few years later.

Shuster, Pualee, rickthescot and 7 others like this.
  5. HotRodSteve

Actually it's just a few chords, but I still miss a note or two every time. Just A to D to E with an F# mixed in playing four notes each but I still mess it up. Got a ways to go.

Stringbanger likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I like to play the opening notes to dueling banjos in different keys faster and faster till I can’t play

Not really a test but an exercise I do

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'll just do some odds and sods around the fretboard, but, regardless of what key it's in, it usually becomes Third Stone From the Sun.......?????

P Thought and Mr. Neutron like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on what I am testing. Flatpicking would be, "Sympathy for the Devil" with the added speed change (gets my barring ring finger into action) and for fingerpicking, a sort of cheap rendition of combining Brian Jones' sitar with Keefers rhythm part in, "Paint It Black". If I can't get those going well, then it is time to go split wood.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I do not test my playing by trying to master one song or solo. I can't read music, or tab, and so I've always learned mostly by ear. Many times, I would learn a song by just noodling around on the guitar and stumbling across what sounded like something, and think, "Oh, that's how you play that!" And then I'd work up my arrangement, oftentimes without going back to consult the original. I'd just work it up the way I remembered it in my head.

Then later--sometimes years later--I'd see someone else play it or listen to the record and realize that I had worked out an arrangement that more or less worked for me, but wasn't according to Hoyle. You know that column in Guitar Player magazine, "You're Playing it Wrong"? Well, Jesse Gress must've gotten his inspiration for the column by hearing me play. :oops:

I used to be embarrassed by this fact. I still am, to an extent, but now I just go with it. As a result, I have never developed either the discipline or the patience to learn something note for note.

So how do I test myself? I actually don't really know how it works. I play every day, and sometimes that means long stretches of sameness, where nothing new is learned. But I just keep at it, and then one day, for some unknown reason, something clicks, or something I'm noodling around on sounds like something, and the process starts again.

Rowdyman, JL_LI, P Thought and 4 others like this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I had a relative ask me if I could play "Blister In The Sun" and I couldn't. Not even close. I can play it now, but playing it and singing it simultaneously has been a challenge. It would help if I had a Milwaukee accent. I think I can pull it off even though my voice really isn't suited to it. Maybe it's my personality though :). Anyway, Gordon Gano kind of speeds up and slows down the phrasing at certain parts and it's like a counterpoint to what's going on with my guitar playing. I just need to play it another 300 times and I might get close to performing it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Never really been interested in playing covers note for note. I tend to get the gist of it and wing it from there for better or worse. That is in fact what the 60's guys we revere as guitar legends did and they created a whole new style of music out of that attitude. Not saying that is why I do it, in my case it is probably lack of technique. :D

12. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

The solo on Highway Star.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's harder to play slow than it is fast.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Not a fan of note for note! Boring and the antithesis of creativity.
    Just me, not judging anybody who likes note for note.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

When I was starting, I set my sights on this as one of my goals.
    I consider this piece more of an articulation exercise than a song... but it is a Merle Travis piece as played by Chet Atkins.

I finally had it figured out by age 21... but couldn't play it consistently until I was about 30.
    I warm up with this one back stage... it's loosens up the fingers. There are days where it will still tie my fingers in knots!

16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Okay, skip the scales and try practicing arpeggios. I suspect that's what's going on in your song.

17. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

thTK394O98.jpg

Rowdyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.