Personal Flying Vehicles (PFV)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, May 17, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I'm still waiting for the US railroads to be dusted off and resurrected. We had genuine hope that was going to happen, bullet trains, magnetic trains, and all. Not sure where we are with that but it seems it's lost a good bit of momentum. But that's a whole different thread.

The overwhelmingly negative responses on this thread were predictable. I got the same negative responses 15 or so years ago when I first addressed the subject of PFVs. I certainly don't pretend to be any kind of expert on the subject. I just find it very fascinating. But the "it can't be done mentality" is alive and well, all while the "it can be done" mentality is doing it. Or, have already done it years ago.

Also predictable are the tragedies to come. The risks are inevitable. Just like they have been with traditional aviation. As I've stated, I don't have the answers. Heck, I don't even know all the relevant questions. But there's one thing I'm fairly certain of regarding PFVs, flying cars, whatever you want to call them. They're coming. Sometime in the future, 20 years or 50 years, they're coming. To a certain degree they're already here.

There is an infinity of questions to be answered. Obviously. It will likely be slow and in continual development. Even today's aviation is constantly evolving. There will always be tragedies. That too is obvious. But I believe the field of PFVs will continue to evolve and develop. Whether they're for the rich or the middle class (I agree, they likely won't be for the poor) or for commercial use only. It's a field that will continue to evolve. Of that I'm fairly certain. Risks and tragedies notwithstanding.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Rowdyman likes this.
  2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You realize, of course, that no one has ever said that before about flying cars and other "PFV's". ;)

It costs about $250K to build a good Lancair Sportsman (not really Lancair anymore). The cost of training and remaining current and proficient is sky high, and cost is and always has been an impediment to the big idea.

The glass cockpit and more computing power in the general aviation aircraft is a favorable trend to make things safer and to make affordable features historically available only in large, expensive aircraft, like autoland. But I don't know that computer control can solve all the problems.

Commuter Craft is building in Georgia.

https://www.ajc.com/business/carter...veloping-new-airplane/1oyktWyrlS2bYnsxCsplvN/

3. Guitarzan

Garmin's autoland feature for general aviation aircraft under development.

4. Guitarzan

5. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I've seen some other experiments based on drone technology and the approach holds a lot of promise. They solve the noise problem. But electric anything is limited and constrained by the battery. The batts don't last long enough, don't hold enough power, and take too long to charge.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

These all scare me. But If I was the Italian guy, video 4, I would have just got it airborn enough to fly 100 feet, land and then pack up and take the girl out for breakfast and then browse antique shops until the pub opens. Oh wait...I'm old. Ha!

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I think you're jumpn2conclusions ;)

The negative responses here are not so much, "it's impossible, so fuggetaboutit," they are decidedly "not anytime soon."

Take a look at current legislation/regulation of unmanned aerial vehicles (erroneously called "drones" by most everyone); you will see there are no speedy solutions to the many problems of airspace management--and these are unmanned vehicles. Put people in them and the difficulty of safe operation exponentially increases.

Safety of flight is a consideration not only for the vehicle and whatever's in it. It also applies to everything around it and on the ground underneath it.

If you are a pilot you generally understand this stuff a bit better than non-pilots.

There are many incontrovertible truths in the flying business, one of which is, 'you always have enough fuel to reach the scene of the crash'.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

And they are heavy.

Only when the energy density of battery technology surpasses that of combustible fuels will large electric aircraft become practical.

For example, gasoline is 90-100 times more energy dense than modern batteries. Compounding the issue is even the best batteries are only about 80% efficient. We have a way to go before we can get there with electric motors.

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I want a PFV :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... With a sticker "No smoking / Explosion hazard".... o_O:D

-tbln

rangercaster and drf64 like this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I read where the airlines could have created a parachute
    for standard jet airliners, but, did not want to pay.

What a world if we could eliminate airplane crashes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.