Perhaps I’m persnickety but…Quality Control on original 50s new tele

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Just getting to grips with a new 50s original, guitar looks and plays great but found a few annoying “defects”. I’ve worked in QA/QC so maybe overzealous, what do you guys think - see photos. I’ve contacted fender uk for feedback, they can’t improve unless we tell them 😂

1. B string ferrule not fully inserted
2. Damaged screw on neck plate
3. Scratch plate screw poorly driven

I can live with/fix these things but a bit annoying for the price

Now if it was road worn 😂😂😂
Thats how they did it in the 1950s.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
To be fair nobody born after 1950 knows how to set flat heads like they did back on the Bronze Age. It’s still a really cool guitar. If you deepen pilot hole I bet you can set the pick guard. Fender should send you a new neck screw. Can you ask the dealer to help?

Rock the heck out of it.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Just getting to grips with a new 50s original, guitar looks and plays great but found a few annoying “defects”. I’ve worked in QA/QC so maybe overzealous, what do you guys think - see photos. I’ve contacted fender uk for feedback, they can’t improve unless we tell them 😂

Agreed on all.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
So it's a $2,100 retail guitar with QC issues, but that's not only OK, it's to be expected, even appreciated?

I guess y'all would say the same thing if it was a Ron Kirn that had the same annoying issues (he has the exact opposite reputation as Fender). "Hey, it's a Ron Kirn. Cool guitars just a little sloppy. No biggie, for two grand it's to be expected!" :)

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
The screws don't bother me ( much ).

The ferrule does bother me, though. I'd try to make them fix it.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I have a standard that has always served me well, no matter if it was in my construction business, or the work that I still do out of my shop

The customer should always get what they pay for

Those three items may seem minor to some folks, and not affect the functionality of the guitar, but they are certainly not what you paid for

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
Hmmm think of it this way........ in the 1950'2 there were the same kind of quality issues and we love and cherish those guitars, so........................

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
None of those should be considered QC issues, none of them affect form, fit or function.

It's a guitar, not a Rolex watch.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Most of them are easily fixable but also it shouldn't happen on a top-of-the-line guitar like the AO. Is the B-string ferrule just not seated or is the hole not fully drilled?

ponycar

Tele-Meister
The flat head screw on the neck plate appears to have a slight manufacturing flaw shown off by the plating, not install damage. No problem for me at all.
The pickguard screw, I much prefer them to not be over tightened to avoid warping the guard especially in single ply. Tighten it.
The ferrule, tap it with a brass punch, it will seat perfectly. Assembled by humans.
Lovely guitar.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Most of them are easily fixable but also it shouldn't happen on a top-of-the-line guitar like the AO. Is the B-string ferrule just not seated or is the hole not fully drilled?
Well, it's true that none of those 'defects' are going to make any difference to the sound or playability of the guitar.

But, if I'd just paid 'brand-new' Fender price, I'd be unhappy too. I wouldn't have expected those kind of things to get past QC at that price.

It's not a top of the line guitar, yes at $2000 it is not inexpensive, but they make Custom Shop guitars priced double and more over the production AO.

Those defects aren't even noticeable unless you are examining the guitar as if it is jewelry.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It's not a top of the line guitar, yes at $2000 it is not inexpensive, but they make Custom Shop guitars priced double and more over the production AO.

Those defects aren't even noticeable unless you are examining the guitar as if it is jewelry.

Top of the production line that is - alongside the American Ultras/Ultra Luxes. True, but let's not excuse Fender for not tightening down the pickguard screw or checking the seating of the ferrule - it is someone's job in the factory to check for things like that. The scratches on the neck plate are a "stuff happens" thing.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's

I'd notice stuff like that, too, and it would bug me. No excuse for this on a guitar like the AO.

That should have been sold as B-stock for those flubs. See if they offer you a bit of a refund on your purchase price.