Performing Sunday to Wednesday tips?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by towcar, Aug 1, 2014.

1. towcar

towcar TDPRI Member

Hey forum,

I am currently in the middle of booking a tour and I am really struggling to book Sunday to Wednesday. A few dates we have found coffee shops but I still have many gaps.

Does anyone have a solution to this, perhaps creative ways to make money on the weekdays without going the traditional venue route?

Additionally I am touring from Saskatchewan to Toronto, up to Ottawa, and back home over the months of October & November. Busking may be out of the question in November.

Thank you!

Towcar A.K.A Carson Aaron

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Help us help you by giving us more information.

You alternate between using both singular and plural pronouns: "I" and "we." Are you booking primarily for a band? If so, what configuration? Duo? Trio? More? What instruments? Or are we talking about solo performances? Or maybe you're looking for a mix of both on your tour schedule?

What genres of music? Covers? Originals? Both?

Have you tried for other types of venues and been turned down? What types of venues have you tried for? Or are you asking because you're fishing for ideas of places to book?

I was going to ask if you'd considered busking until I read your last sentence. Then again, November is a ways away. What about doing some busking to fill in the gaps, for a couple of months at least, weather permitting? Or perhaps permits permitting as well?

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

See if you can get some fans to put together house concerts.

4. towcar

towcar TDPRI Member

Clarify

Sorry I am a solo artist in the sense of like Tom Petty, or Ozzy Osbourne. So for this tour I am performing as a two piece. My bassist, myself, and a kick drum.

We are doing the tour to support a live album release of all original music. We also have an hour acoustic cover set prepared to help get those other gigs. The music and covers I/we play is all rock/hard rock.

And yes busking could be an option I suppose in October up until it gets cold out, because then nobody will be outside. I have been contacting places but cities vary on how many live venues there are or many are too big for me to be able to attempt to perform in. Also I am on tour to make fans, pretty hard to get a house concert organized in cities where I know nobody. Mostly I have tried the main music venues in the major cities, and in places 5k-20k population I am asking resturants/clubs that do not have music normally. Not too much luck.

I would rent halls too but it is risky being I don't know how well many of these bands can pull people and I plan to walk away from this tour in the positive dollars.

5. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

You might take a look at www.HomeRoutes.ca. You don't have to know someone to get into the house concert string. I've been to a lot of good ones seeing people I've never heard of and found a lot of good performers that way. It's a lot different than a club, but better in some ways.

6. towcar

towcar TDPRI Member

Cool well I will go through that and see what I can pull through that. Does anyone know of the idea of performing at a high school or middle school for cheap money maybe? Or even if you could get anything out of a music store?

7. Space Pickle

Space Pickle Tele-Meister

There are venues in Toronto that book bands on weeknights and are usually packed, by you have to be good (not suggesting you aren't).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.