practice till you can't screw it up

realize: no one REALLY cares

realize: most people can't play music at all

besides, if you screw up, it's not the end of the world

(unless you're being paid)

so what are you really afraid of?

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Same thing with me while recording- I am not nervous but often I do several takes until there are no mistakes.
Playing live was another thing, I always was a bit nervous BEFORE the gig started, but when we had started to play that was gone.(I must admit we often used one or two of our "little green friends" = Beck`s Beer...) :)

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Home studio? Large data storage device? I think the trick might be to never turn recording OFF.

Yep.... we've actually done this in fact i.e. hit the red button in the control room, don't tell the drummer ;) LOL!!! Then we get on the God mic and say, "Nice recording, girl! That's a take!" And watch the drummer's eyes pop and her jaw drop! LOL!!! Great stuff ;)

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
Hmmmm... I have a different take on "red light fever".

I figure since it's not live and there's no audience, there's no reason to be nervous. If I make a mistake I can always try again, no pressure.

However, I limit myself to 3 takes on any given track. If I can't reach my imagined gold standard in 3 tries, I choose the one that sounds best and I go with it. The reality is often incongruent with the fantasy of my ability, yet in the end no one hears my "mistake". Hell, after a few playbacks I no longer hear it!

Lay it down and move on. :)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've played music live, and recorded music, I know that feeling. You will never know pressure though, until playing golf you tee off in a tournament in front of a large group of people what pressure really is. I've seen guys whiff the ball, even saw a guy hit a ball, (how i don't know) who was wearing shorts up his pants leg! The only remedy for any endeavor you do in front of an audience is to practice not only until you get it right, but until you CAN'T get it wrong!

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Performance anxiety actually helps me focus and make fewer mistakes, oddly. The downside is I never really relax on stage. I just kinda stand there with my guitar. I might tap my foot or bob my head a little, but for the most part I am paralyzed with fear.

I’m not a working pro, far from it, but I have been playing bars for decades. You’d think I’d get over it with experience.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I've played music live, and recorded music, I know that feeling. You will never know pressure though, until playing golf you tee off in a tournament in front of a large group of people what pressure really is. I've seen guys whiff the ball, even saw a guy hit a ball, (how i don't know) who was wearing shorts up his pants leg! The only remedy for any endeavor you do in front of an audience is to practice not only until you get it right, but until you CAN'T get it wrong!

:lol: Been there, done that :lol:. I started playing tournaments at 13.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
:lol: Been there, done that :lol:. I started playing tournaments at 13.

One time we were playing at Morro Bay along the coast. A guy's parents came out to watch him tee off with us, in fact they were cheering him on to hit a "good one.". (He was around fifty years old) We all got up there and striped one up the fairway, and when he hit the ball, it dribbled up to just short of the lady's tees. His parents without saying a word just turned around and left. I'm pretty sure if you could die of mortification, he would have been a goner.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've got an aversion to comping. I realize that if I record 3 or 4 tracks that are 'okay' I can probably stitch together an acceptable track that'll fit.

I can't bring myself to do it. I like knowing that everything I'm hearing back is a solid, continuous track.

Slows down the process some, but I don't mind playing a lot to get a good track.

- D

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Home studio? Large data storage device? I think the trick might be to never turn recording OFF.

I've tried that a couple of times. It took me longer to find X number of good bars out of the recording than hitting Ctrl Z. It does work well for me when playing lead and capturing licks I would probably forget.

I plan to try Layering and Comping next time I record.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Not the sexual kind.

It’s almost funny. . . Sitting on the couch, I can play a 3 minute song flawlessly (pretty much), but hit the record button and I’m lucky to get through 30 seconds. Instead of concentrating on what I’m playing, I start to think, “You’re almost there, don’t screw it up”. Then I tense up and I get clumsy.

Dang, that does sound kind of sexual.

It is all about frame of mind.
Go walk around for a while, get yourself UP for the occasion.
When you really feel it, get in there, press record.

You'll see!

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I've got an aversion to comping. I realize that if I record 3 or 4 tracks that are 'okay' I can probably stitch together an acceptable track that'll fit.

I can't bring myself to do it. I like knowing that everything I'm hearing back is a solid, continuous track.

Slows down the process some, but I don't mind playing a lot to get a good track.

- D

I'm not experienced enough to comp well. I have stitched a few parts together and I can tell (even if no one else notices). Right now, I can't play 3 minutes of difficult (for me) fingerstyle acoustic without a buzz, squeak, or mute.

boredguy6060

Poster Extraordinaire
It has been said of Tommy Emmanuel, that he can walk into the studio and play a whole side of an album in one take. Go eat, come back and do the other side. Never screw up.
That’s what separates him from me, talent.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm not experienced enough to comp well. I have stitched a few parts together and I can tell (even if no one else notices). Right now, I can't play 3 minutes of difficult (for me) fingerstyle acoustic without a buzz, squeak, or mute.

I learned to comp from watching good engineers and producers do it. A rule of thumb - the deeper into detail you get (especially working with a DAW), the more 'seamless' you can make it sound. And as with anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. Good luck!

- D

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Me too.
I do fine when I’m recording for others.
I have made over 30 complete albums for other artists.
However, I cannot lay a single track for my own projects.
I can’t get it good enough.
Weird, but true.

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
As I age, I give less of a darn about many many things that I used to. Mistakes when playing live? Don't bother me. All it means is the band needs to practice more. Mistakes when recording? I think shaving every few days bugs me more.
Aging and not giving a darn is probably not helpful to deal with performance anxiety if you are looking for a timely solution.
Just know that as you age, you'll likely change. Naturally.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
Have you tried putting a bag over her headstock?
If only there was a little blue pill for picker dysfunction…