"Perfect" gigging amp

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Ok, @68goldtop please excuse my ignorance…what is a “volume box”?
You mean one of these?

YOTHER47780b.jpg

It’s a hand operated volume pedal :p I sometime use one in the effects loop of a very gainy amp when I’m trying to be quiet.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My DV Mark FGC 121. It sounds awesome either clean or driven and it weighs less than 25 pounds

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
Alternative to the Volume Box is a Dr. Watson Lion Tamer. I am thinking of trying one of these. It just plugs right in to the Blues Deluxe connecting the pre-amp out to the power amp in. Leave it plugged in all the time (they say). It functions as a Master Volume.

DrWatsonLionTamer.jpg

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi guys!
Ok, @68goldtop please excuse my ignorance…what is a “volume box”?
Sorry, I thought the term was, err, "well known" ;)

And yes - it´s something like this:

You mean one of these?

YOTHER47780b.jpg

It’s a hand operated volume pedal :p I sometime use one in the effects loop of a very gainy amp when I’m trying to be quiet.
A passive volume-control that is plugged into the fx-loop of the Blues/HotRod Deluxe.
It lets you turn up the amp more in the front end, and gives a more gradual control over the output.

This is the one I used to own - it worked great, it looked great and it only cost like $30:
Alternative to the Volume Box is a Dr. Watson Lion Tamer. I am thinking of trying one of these. It just plugs right in to the Blues Deluxe connecting the pre-amp out to the power amp in. Leave it plugged in all the time (they say). It functions as a Master Volume.

View attachment 989977

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
If he wants clean, the Blues Deluxe is a loud 40 watts. "Pedal platform" as they say. The HRD is it's close cousin but gets dirty. About 40# or so stock. Can be had for reasonable money used.
BDRI with an E120 JBL-talk about clean and loud! The E120 is rated at 103 db, so it's VERY efficient, probably like adding another 20 watts to the 40 that the BDRI
20180816_055229.jpg
already produces, equals more headroom. Not to mention the killer look! A 2x10 baffle with JBLS makes for a sweet amp as well, like below:
20180817_110157.jpg

middy

Friend of Leo's
My son is searching for the ideal gigging amp. He plays in 3 different full bands - guitars, bass, drums, steel guitar, fiddle, etc. For years I gave him access to my vintage Fenders, and he fell in love with my Vibrolux Reverb. However, theft has gotten very bad in our area, so I've had to change my loaning policy. He purchased a VR RI, but he just doesn't like it very much. So he wants something different. He really likes the '65 DR RI, but he needs more clean headroom than 22 watts can deliver, and unfortunately the bands he plays with aren't masters of dynamics and they tend to play loud. Forty watts really is needed. He owns a Vox AC30, and it's certainly loud enough but good grief...the weight of that thing! I've recommended the Hot Rod Deluxe or perhaps a Custom Shop Vibrolux Reverb. I thought perhaps a Peavey Classic 50 would serve him well. He's considering biting the bullet on a mid to late-'70s VR, but the prices are very high, and there aren't any locally so he'd have to buy it sight-unseen.

What are other suggestions that might fit his needs? Thank you.
Use the AC30. Get the drummer to help carry it. Plenty of handles.