"Perfect" gigging amp

scooter

TDPRI Member
If he likes the sound of the AC-30 but hates the weight (who doesn't?), he could sell his and get an AC-30 head and a separate cab.

wildschwein

Tele-Afflicted
Mesa Rocket 44. Not as nice sounding as a Fender but there's plenty of sonic options between its three modes, has crazy volume and it's in a very comapct 1x12 form factor. I think it weighs somewhere in the 20kg range. I have never found it overly heavy.
1652411085086.jpeg

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the Quilter Aviator Cub has 3 Fender voices and gets loud and clean . Also very light weight. I have some nice boutique Fender amps but have been mostly playing the Cub these days

driesenries

TDPRI Member
I got myself a Marshall Origin 50 combo (1x12") and it delivers killer tone. I use a couple of amps including a Fender Brownface Vibroverb reissue and sometimes a Hotrod deluxe. The Marshall is a very good allround amp. I've had a new VOX AC30 CC2X but that amp wasn't a good one. Not only very heavy but also harsh sounding.

jakesnake66

TDPRI Member
77 replies for suggested “perfect”. Are any two of them the same?

No, but that's PRECISELY what I came here for. I made my living playing music from age 16 to 32, and then continued to gig consistently for the next 15 years. I got my son started and have followed his career closely, supporting him any way I can. I've got tons of experience and persective, so I didn't come here with the notion that there would be a consensus. I came here wanting every single suggestion I could get. I don't need THE answer. Just ideas. I'll take it from there. This thread has been very valuable to me. I've learned about amps I've never heard of; I've detected the enthusiasm players have with their current gear; I've learned of "gotchas" with specific equipment....speaker ideas, etc. It's not likely anyone here has any more experience than i do, but that's not the point. The point is bouncing around ideas that otherwise I wouldn't be aware of.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Roland Blues Cube Stage.
SS so no tube fragility issues.
Sounds fantastic.
Wattage selector goes from mild to wild - 60 LOUD Watts at max.
Roland builds quality, workaday equipment that performs in the real world.
And this one is "Used Excellent" on Reverb right now for $602 plus shipping.
Comes with footswitch, dust cover, and a lack of cigarette burns.
I got mine for $550 a couple years ago used, love it.
1652470400907.png

1954 blonde

TDPRI Member
My son is searching for the ideal gigging amp. He plays in 3 different full bands - guitars, bass, drums, steel guitar, fiddle, etc. For years I gave him access to my vintage Fenders, and he fell in love with my Vibrolux Reverb. However, theft has gotten very bad in our area, so I've had to change my loaning policy. He purchased a VR RI, but he just doesn't like it very much. So he wants something different. He really likes the '65 DR RI, but he needs more clean headroom than 22 watts can deliver, and unfortunately the bands he plays with aren't masters of dynamics and they tend to play loud. Forty watts really is needed. He owns a Vox AC30, and it's certainly loud enough but good grief...the weight of that thing! I've recommended the Hot Rod Deluxe or perhaps a Custom Shop Vibrolux Reverb. I thought perhaps a Peavey Classic 50 would serve him well. He's considering biting the bullet on a mid to late-'70s VR, but the prices are very high, and there aren't any locally so he'd have to buy it sight-unseen.

What are other suggestions that might fit his needs? Thank you.
Have him try a Fender Custom Pro Reverb. 40 watts, lightweight, and sounds great!

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My son is searching for the ideal gigging amp. He plays in 3 different full bands - guitars, bass, drums, steel guitar, fiddle, etc. For years I gave him access to my vintage Fenders, and he fell in love with my Vibrolux Reverb. However, theft has gotten very bad in our area, so I've had to change my loaning policy. He purchased a VR RI, but he just doesn't like it very much. So he wants something different. He really likes the '65 DR RI, but he needs more clean headroom than 22 watts can deliver, and unfortunately the bands he plays with aren't masters of dynamics and they tend to play loud. Forty watts really is needed. He owns a Vox AC30, and it's certainly loud enough but good grief...the weight of that thing! I've recommended the Hot Rod Deluxe or perhaps a Custom Shop Vibrolux Reverb. I thought perhaps a Peavey Classic 50 would serve him well. He's considering biting the bullet on a mid to late-'70s VR, but the prices are very high, and there aren't any locally so he'd have to buy it sight-unseen.

It may have already been suggested, but the DrZ Zlux would fit the bill, albeit pricey new. They rarely come up on the used market but are usually in the $1900 price range when they do. 40 watts of hand-wired tube muscle in a 40 lb. package, and DrZ quality is top tier. 4x6V6 power tube with verb and trem. I had one but never got to gig with it because of the pandemic. I’m starting to gig again but now I can’t afford another one. That’s the breaks.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
If you're playing clubs and running your amp through the P.A. 20 watts will do it.

Anything larger would be good for an outdoor gig, but would be overkill in a club setting. Especially since most clubs are becoming the "Noise ****'s" concering volume.

hepular

Tele-Afflicted

a weightlifting & exercise program. 20-35 yo dude should be capable of hauling a twin.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

Fender Blues Deluxe/Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30/50
Quilter Aviator/101
Marshall DSL40/Origin 50

All got multiple mentions.

Four pages in, probably figured it out. But I’d recommend a Quilter 101 and a 1x12 cab

If I had to go on the road with 3 other guys in one vehicle, I'd get a pedal-sized Quilter (SuperBlock?) and put it on my pedalboard. Then an EV TL606 if I could get a 4Ω 15" speaker. Or a smaller 2x12 than my current one. That'd be 3 things to keep track of, pedalboard, cabinet, guitar.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
If I had to go on the road with 3 other guys in one vehicle, I'd get a pedal-sized Quilter (SuperBlock?) and put it on my pedalboard. Then an EV TL606 if I could get a 4Ω 15" speaker. Or a smaller 2x12 than my current one. That'd be 3 things to keep track of, pedalboard, cabinet, guitar.
Man, an HX Stomp or something in my guitar case and call it a day sounds pretty enticing.

Wish I didn't love JCM 800s and pedals so damn much.