Perfect Drums , the VST. Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ping-ping-clicka, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

I grew up as it were on drum machines, old drum machines
    I like the alway have ,Thinking: The KRAFTWERK school
    then there was midi, the usb on and on we evolved, Many be
    "hemlines go up and down while things remain the same and we call it progress" Le Carre
    Now I watched demo of Perfect drum..... gone are the days of the drum machine dumber than a box of sticks.So , do you use this vst?
    • E-MU Systems Drumulator. ...
    • Linn Electronics LM-1. ...
    • Oberheim DMX. ...
    • Roland CR-78. ...
    • Roland TR-808. ...
    • Roland TR-909. ...
    • Roland R-8.
    • and the old stand by the Roland TR66

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I use the SFD vst plugin, its Sloppy F***in Drummer, works for me. the tempo changes abit but I can work with that...

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

Perfect Drums gets high marks for heavier rock and metal, if that's your chase. It's not really mine, though. I bought EZDrummer years back with the idea of cross-grading to Superior Drummer if I outgrew it, but I never did. I stuck with EZD because of its versatility with roots-rock forms — blues-rock, hillbilly jazz, country-rock, rockabilly, vintage rhythm 'n' blues, folk-rock — all the old-school forms, 'cause hey, I'm old! :cool:

EZD has massive expansion potential, with various kits and pattern sets for virtually any genre, including hard rock, metal and beyond. I'll be sticking with it for many reasons, not the least of which is that, at this point, I can do it in my sleep!

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I've used Addictive Drums, and tried a demo of EZ Drummer, but never tried Perfect Drums.

I think I would use pretty much anything as long as the software included good acoustic drum samples that I like, that are well recorded with plenty of dynamics. The VST UIs are all interchangeable to me.

OTOH if I am just going to use an 808 type of sound or want it to sound like a drum machine, well I have tons of free samples or even an actual drum machine for that!

5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

I normally use a thing called a Spike:

spike1.png

simoncroft, Otis Fine and SolidSteak like this.
  6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

That's cool - what is that, some kind of midi interface? Does it work with Windows 10?

:D

7. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

It has a sort of beer interface. You pour a couple of pints in at the start of a show and just keep it topped up.

8. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

That sounds like me. Hey wait a minute ...

ricknbaker likes this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

I am thinking about
    EZdrummer thanks for the help.

10. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Second EZDrummer 2, I'm just a hack guitarist/musician and recording hobbyist but EZD is one of the best things I use. I knew nothing about drums and was intimidated to say the least, EZD lets me tap out an idea and make it into a song format in a few clicks. The expansion packs are great though there seems to be a lot of redundancy especially when it comes to metal, not a metal guy so no sweat off my back but you can tweak so much that the basic kits can take you a long way.

M

11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Toontracks for me... EZ Drummer or Superior drummer.

12. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

Come on, Mark! If you're still a hack, at least you're a very advanced hack — you ain't a rookie anymore! ;)

... Sorry folks, OT, carry on!

13. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

MT power drum2 is free and great for 4/4 beats and fills. Only has the one kit.
    EZdrummer 2 is great. Like @woodman said, you can really get just about anything, but you pay for it.
    Sometimes I’ll take a beat from MT, put it in the song, uncheck the MT power drum box and then replace it in the track with a different kit from ezdrummer.

14. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Although it took me a long time to really get into it, Fxpansion's BFD allows an incredible amount of control over where and how hard each drum/cymbal is hit. Also, the adjustable damping, tuning and mic positions make it a bit like working with a drummer and recording studio I could never afford!

Where BFD is let down is the user manual and the lack of supporting videos. Once I finally 'got it', it was more like working with a real drummer (minus the arguments and beer breaks) than I would ever have imagined.

My second choice is the Drummer included with Logic Pro X. Although it doesn't sound quite as real, and it certainly isn't as programmable, it has the advantage that you can throw almost anything at it – including fancy time signatures – and it will generate a variety of nice drum grooves.

Everything available today is way better than the rubbish "bong/smash" drum machines I heard as a teenager!

15. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I guess that's true, a learned hack! I have learned SO much over the past few years, such an amazing time. I'm still just blown away that I can do such amazing things with my laptop, I/O and guitar. Couldn't have picked a better hobby to keep the mind and soul in their happy places! lol

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.