perfect amp for heavy mid scoop fuzzes like bmp or fy-6?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JonathanFIII, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JonathanFIII

JonathanFIII TDPRI Member

hi, most people buy an amp and choose a fuzz that sounds nice with the amp they have bought. Not me, I have 2 nice smallampsat home but I wanna start gigging soon. I'm playing in a duo so I need to be loud. I need something that sounds nice on it's own but it needs to work really well with big muffs and other mid-scoopy fuzzes. Maybe a twin reverb? I don't prefer clean over dirty because I know that there are big muff users who get great muff tones with a dirty amp but I don't really know what to look for. my budget is 900 euro's so what would you guys suggest to test?

my style is jack white and other projects, white stripes, qotsa, the cramps, blur, dinosaur jr.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A second hand Mesa Boogie with a graphic equaliser would allow you to have a lot of control over the amount of mid scoop. Those amps can do great cleans and take pedals fine.

Studio 22 perhaps at that budget. Will be very loud for its size.

3. JonathanFIII

hmmm notsure about mesa stuff, any other suggestions people..

4. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

I've never had much luck with a Big Muff/Fender (blackface) combo, but the problems were in a full band context. It might work for a duo.

How much do used Hiwatts go for where you live?

5. JonathanFIII

Hard to get in the lowlands... what about vox ac30's?

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a big fan of Blackstar lately.

I'd say, "Buy a Soldano!" except Soldanos are expensive. Buy a Mike Soldano designed Jet City instead.

There's always the old standby, classic Marshall. None of your modern crap. There's no life after JCM800. On the other hand you only need to buy an old 50 watt JMP once. If you can't rock with an old Marshall it's not the amp's fault.

These guys opened for Robin Trower the other night. Ian often does a Rick Allen impersonation playin' the drums one handed while filling the bass line on his adjacent Rhodes. Toby plays through a Deluxe Reverb clone with a buncha pedals. He's gettin' a ripping slide tone from that doo- doo box with the Strat pickup in its soundhole. They sound a lot better loud through a big P.A..

Here's the man himself with two Vintage Modern Marshalls and a whole buncha Fulltone pedals.

Same thing, 1974.

Forget the amp. That's the best "guitar face" in rock 'n' roll. If you're still that into it at 70 years old the rest of it isn't important. :cool:

7. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

Sure. Or try the Laney (VC30 I think) version.

Given the bands you referenced, I'd second Muchxs Marshall suggestion. Unfortunately a good Marshall is likely to be above your budget (at least it would be where I live. Maybe not over there.)

8. JonathanFIII

I can buy a vintage london city amp, they where made in amsterdam in the 60's and 70's, they are really cheap, and poorly build but they are all point to point so it's easy to change all the bad parts. they are easy to mod, a good tech can make a london city into a marshall superlead.

this is a modded london city with super bass specifications for 500 euro's
    still 400,- left for a cab.
    I think that 500,- is not too bad for a nice vintage ptp amp

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-...da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.